Author Topic: Switched cage locations  (Read 3076 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Switched cage locations
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »
So with the new year I decided to move the birds' cages to give them new perspective. I switched the cage locations. One cage is in front of a large window facing my backyard and the other faces a small window on the side. Max was moved to the smaller window and Charlie to the large. Both are adjusting. Will watch and see how Max does with far less ability to see what is going on outside when he is is his cage. Charlie was a bit freaked out when I acquired him a year ago so a large window didn't seem like a good idea previously. Will wait and see how it goes. Wish I could give them equal window exposure :dunno:

Any experiences with switching cage locations?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Switched cage locations
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »
The only time my birds have ever had a "change" of scenery was when I would move. I'd always be concerned about their stress of a new environment, but they would adjust just fine like it was nothing. Especially since it is still your same home, I think they'll adjust to it right away.

I would do it too if I could. At the apartment we're currently at, there are not a lot of options. As the floor plan is, furniture and tv need to go in certain spots, and there is not a lot of light coming in here unfortunately. I guess it's the direction the dining and living room windows are facing. I do like the window idea, but in my case I don't like all the kids in the community looking into our windows like they do trying to spy on the budgies!

Will be interesting to see if Charlie and Max are indifferent about the new locations, or if they tell you they like it better or worse.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:26:32 AM »
So far there is confusion so not sure. And yes as you describe issue for me too  is using windows where people can't look into my home. Change may be too much but will monitor situation

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
Re: Switched cage locations - don't trade cages!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:43:18 AM »
I have to laugh when I read your post.  I made the mistake of using my Pionus' cage for an African Grey that came to live with us for a year.  She went into a smaller one she had previously lived in.   She hated the new bird... totally got off on the wrong foot, and I'm sure the cage switch was the cause of the initial problems.  Any chance she got, there she went into his cage and sat there glowering at anyone that approached - you could just see her sending telepathic messages, "MY CAGE!"

Poor girl... it was just so unfair to her.... if I had been thinking at all, I should have just begged, borrowed or bought new cages for both of them.

People (me) can be so much stupider than their birds. :biglaughing:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »
Didn't switch cages - just locations. And now seeing if they can share view of big window. Max was having tough time with new location. Change can be tough

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »
So, it's been a week... I was wondering how the boys are liking their new cage locations?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:34:35 AM »
Well I ended up within a day moving both cages to share large window facing back yard. Both seem pleased so far. When the cages are open they can go from cage to csge. I have to be vigilant to prevent arguments but so far it has been peaceful for most part. This may not work out in long run but so far not so bad. There was confusion and shock with switched locations.....that may have been too much change.

Thanks for asking.

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
Unfortunately, these days, it is always a good idea to not have your parrots visible from the road or sidewalk.  People get ideas.... not good ideas....

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
Oh don't make me any more paranoid than I am already!  :shocking:
I'm in an apartment community and window visibility can't be helped. We do have vertical blinds that I try to keep angled the other direction, but still not entirely away from view. Either that or parrots living in darkness (it's pretty dark in here) :dunno: I feel it's fine. Not ideal, but fine.

I'm glad to see Max and Charlie are now going from each other's cage. Hopefully one day you won't see any arguments between them. Maybe sharing the window will work out long term. Maybe they like each other, but it's a hierarchy thing? My budgies are both males in the same cage, and although they're bonded best buddies, they still have little squabbles from time to time over who's the boss of the cage, and they both think they are lol! They don't hurt each other though. I think it only happens because they share the same cage, different situation with Max and Charlie.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 05:25:09 AM »
Max and Charlie are at different stages of life. Max is coming into hormones. Charlie is 8 years older. Plus it is just a personality thing....Max hadn't wanted to share me. He glares when Charlie covets scritches and then wants scritches at same time. My tiels were not best buds either

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »
Neither of my Pionus boys have the 'prime' window view, the budgies have always had that but the boys dont seem to care. They only time they change locations is when they do it themselves, right now they are both on Adams cage. There is a perch tree near the window but they both ignore it.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »
My pi seem to love looking out window. My house can be dark so getting both pi as much window time as possible is key.  Plus there is a lot to observe. I let Max keep his window once Charlie arrived and my attempts to have them share the prime window a year ago did not go well. I still need to be vigilant but right now sharing is working  for the most part even though they can jump from cage to cage

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:18:12 AM »
Just an update - The boys are successfully sharing the back window.  They hop from cage to cage and are not so bothered by each other most of the time.  It is hormone season and they are friendlier to one another.  When I come home I do move the cages further apart so jumping from cage to cage isn't so easy.  Every once in a while I need to separate them...but they are actually coexisting...checking out the other's food and toys and sitting on the same cage for a bit

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
Wonderful. Good to hear the update that they're getting along  :)