Author Topic: Travel  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
Travel
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
My birds like to travel.  They get really excited to see the travel cages... they start climbing all over the cages, trying to get in, chattering at me all the time.
I use small dog kennels that have low placed perches but no swings or ropes (I don't use ropes for ANYTHING - too many bad experiences with rope). The toys are fastened to one side of the cages, ditto the food dishes.  The back and the main door I use is left completely free of anything.  I haven't ever had a problem with either of them chewing on their dog kennel (it was a worry initially).

Just in case, I always bring both battery operated fans and also a space heater with an extension cord when we travel.

We stop frequently when we travel.  The cockatoo has a harness that we use and the Pionus, Meloni, has a backpack cage.  They both like to take refreshing walks and see new sights.

Some people have commented to me that they consider it dangerous to have the parrots loose in the car when we are traveling, and some have said to not have them in their cages....  Personally, I can't imagine not having them out.  The cockatoo rides on my shoulder, only hiding in my lap when a semi is too close, and Meloni prefers to perch on top of her cage (I built a little wood perch that fastens to the top of the cage.)

All and all, we love to travel together - even it if is just down to the local park. 

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Travel
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »
Sorry I may have missed your new member checkin. Welcome! So you have a dusky and a wc? Would love to hear more about them.  I have a 21 month old wc male whom I have had  1 1/2 years and a 9 year old maxi/coral bill male whom I have had for 14 months.

I take one of my pi out for walks in a.pak o bird and both in travel cages in the car. Both seem to enjoy looking around the world.  So I think it is great that your birds get out and about. So you have had bad experiences with rope perches?

:schild27:

She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
Thank you for the pics. They are both BEAUTIFUL! Sounds like you have two very well adjusted and lucky birdies!

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »
The photo is of my Dusky, Meloni, and her former companion, a WC male, Flip.  Flip was adopted at age 13, and I had him with me for four years before he succumbed to multiple tumors. 
The Pionus had/have two totally different personalities.  My Dusky is much more of a grumpy finicky girl.  The WC was much more mellow... willing to just hang around and watch what was going on... he was also very much a ground dweller.  He would follow my dog (West Highland mix) around the house, and the Dusky would follow the WC... so they were like a little parade. (Just to keep things straight, Flip, the WC, and Murray, the dog, are no longer with us.)

About the rope perches...
Both my Pionus have gotten their toes caught in the rope perches.  And these aren't worn or loosened rope perches.  Their nails are kept pretty short from walking on the floor all the time, so I don't think it is a nail problem.  I will use the white - tight - ropes, and tight manila ropes, but not the thread ones.  One of my last experiences - and pretty near final - experiences working for an avian veterinarian was when a person brought in a cockatoo with a whole foot involvement with the thread from these perches... the poor bird was screaming the most pitiful scream.  It was heart wrenching for anyone to see and hear, but for me, a new cockatoo owner, this just broke my heart. 

I have access to a lot of crape myrtle trees and branches - so I make my own perches, pretty near any size I want.  Currently I have one manila round swing and one hard white rope perch.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »
That is interesting. My wc is very playful and spunky....perhaps it is just his age as he is only 21 months. My older male pi is pretty mellow. Just didn't think I would hear of a mellow wc. Goes to show they are all individuals

Sorry for your losses.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »
Wow I am concerned about ropes now. I have using synthetic rope/string to string toys. Saw Charlie moving rope today and had bad image of him getting caught. Just bought more skewers and took away toys strung on rope. Also noticed he frayed a rope perch so reconsidering rope perches as well.  Frayed rope perch was removed today as well. Thanks for warning.