Author Topic: Wilson - my social socialized cockatoo.  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
Wilson - my social socialized cockatoo.
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »
Wilson is my nine year old female Umbrella Cockatoo.  As a newly hatched chick, she was given to me by her breeder because she had a distended crop as a baby - the breeder couldn't care for her - the breeder offered her to the veterinarian, but the vet knew better than to adopt her!  In the meantime, I'm standing in the background, jumping up and down, saying, "Me, me, I'll take her!"  I've never regretted bringing her into my life!
Since she needed to be fed every two hours, Wilson spent the first two months of her life in the front room of the vet clinic where she was touched and handled by EVERYBODY and exposed to adults, children, dogs, cats, rabbits, and other birds.  As a consequence, Wilson LOVES KIDS!  Honestly, doesn't just tolerate them - which she does amazingly, but craves contact with kids.
In nine years, in a variety of home situations, and tons of crowds of kids and strangers, she has only bitten three people: my husband (not showing enough affection?), my grandson ("You can't have my Legos!"), and my daughter's boyfriend (he said it was a dominance issue - not!  She doesn't like him any more than I do!!!)
She is currently going through the late stages of adolescence... which is a challenge, trying to figure out what she is telling me -- which changes every hour!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Wilson - my social socialized cockatoo.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:40:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Wilson sure is a cutie, and I can tell she's a happy and very well socialized U2  :)
 Great story about how you acquired her! Just in the right place at the right time... It was definitely meant to be.
I had to laugh at the part about your daughter's boyfriend  :icon_mrgreen:

I'm really enjoying your pics and stories!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:11:24 AM »
Wilson is gorgeous. Nice to learn about her. Great how she got so socialized.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »
 :love5:  WILSON:love5:

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
I'm in love! ♥♥♥ Wilson, you can come visit here any time you want.  :hello1:
Great story and thanks for sharing. :-)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:41:38 PM »
She looks like a character, and so charming!