Author Topic: Reichenow's BH  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Reichenow's BH
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »
The "other" Blue Headed Pionus...  :thwaves:

I thought this was interesting - the subspecies not often seen in captivity. This was in Europe, maybe the Netherlands where they have many more parrot species than we have in the States. Duller blue, but look at that turquoise belly color! I wonder if there are ANY in the US?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Reichenow's BH
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »
Stunning colors. Really love colors. And those pi eyes. Thanks for sharing
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:42:48 PM »
Ohhhh, nooo, another pi I want badly!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 04:12:18 AM »
Notice horn color on beak as the beak of subspecies menstruus is black with a hint of red. This subspecies comes from eastern Brazil.

You make a good point about breeders in Europe having different subspecies as JT's Eloy is a Siy Maxi which most likely is not common in US.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
What is the difference in the Maxi subspecies? Any personality differences?  Not that we could judge by Dobby's ornery tendencies!  Really, the only funnier bird we have ever had was my daughter's caique when she was young   :biglaughing:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
 :thwaves:Oh, that's a difference I didn't notice. Reichenow's does have a horn color on it's beak.

Momazon - I've read that the Siy Maxi is bigger and might have just a slightly different purple shade on the chest. No personality differences. Only between individuals  :)

I'd love it if we had here all the subspecies AND species of parrots that they have in some parts of Europe. Well, then again, wouldn't do me any good - it's not like I'd be able to keep one of each lol. What is there, 300+ parrot species known to man? Would be interesting to me to know out of all the discovered parrot species, how many we have in captivity in the US available as pets. Enough of a selection anyway! I'd like a Reichenow's Blue Headed I think...

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »
Pionus menstruus reichenowi also have blue tips on the under tail coverts instead of green tips

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
Yes look at purple on Eloy's chest....and Eloy is a mega pi....ver big