Author Topic: Emergency Evacuation with birds  (Read 1532 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Emergency Evacuation with birds
« on: January 10, 2014, 04:05:18 AM »
http://birds.about.com/od/livingwithabird/tp/Disaster-Planning-With-Pet-Birds.htm

I had to leave my home briefly and quickly due to CO2 detector alarm while firemen checked out my home in the middle of the night. I am glad it was a false alarm but it was also a good reminder that I need to be prepared to leave my home quickly with my birds. Not so easy to get sleeping birds in carriers. Plan to have carrier under their cages now. Also solidifies why as a single person it is best that I only have 2 pets

She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Emergency Evacuation with birds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »
I'm glad it was a false alarm! Wow, poor birdies didn't know what was going on middle of the night. I agree it would be awful trying to gather up a lot of birds quickly  :shocking:
Thank you for the reminder!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
Max was very fussy. Could hardly forgive me and did not come out of the carrier when we got back in the house until this morning. He was not happy. Charlie was confused by the commotion. I feel bad for them but there wasn't a choice

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:34:28 PM »
Wow, what was the source of the CO2, or did the alarm malfunction? Good reminder for us all!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
My smoke alarm here started dying a year after we moved in and scared me thinking maybe something had gone bad and was smoldering. Kept beeping but luckily it was just the battery and the one at the other end of the house did the same a few months later.
So far the CO2 detectors haven't made a peep so not sure how long their batteries last.
We had a older version at our old rental and you needed to replace the detector unit as one piece which had the battery and main detector in one small module. They finally stopped selling the replacement module and I don't remember if we replaced it. The property manager brought us 3 combo detectors that had 10 year batteries I installed and pretty sure they just threw them away after we left and they remodeled.
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:39:08 AM »
Oh wow, glad it was not real serious.  I know, it is hard to suddenly up root the birds in the night and they sense the stress of what's going on.  I could get Blu into a carrier fairly quick but Kuka's large wire cage is out back do I would have to run to go get it. Then I have Sadie my little blind Chihuahua so she would be easy.  All my out side aviary birds ... well, it would take a while to get into the carriers I have for them. 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 04:36:09 AM »
Firemen said detector had malfunctioned and that there is a short life span for detectors. I got out of house as I awaited firemen but it probably wasn't as fast as needed if a real emergency. I got new  CO2 detectors yesterday and I am reconsidering what I have available and where it is if I have to leave quickly. For instance as I got my boys in car I started thinking if we can't sleep at home I do not have their pellets
, food dishes, water dishes. This was a wake up call to become more prepared for an emergency