Author Topic: Pionus being hormal  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Bill

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Pionus being hormal
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:19:29 PM »
Hi.  I've had my Pi for about 3 years.  This past spring, summer and fall he was outrageously hormal; biting, pinning, rocking back and forth, fluffing out, cage territorial, etc.  Prior to this he was absolutely delightful.  I could hold him, take him outside, give him tons of scritches, carry him around with me on my shoulder everywhere.  I could put my hand in his cage any time and he would welcome me by putting his head down or beckon me by putting his left foot in the air.  He is somewhat better now, but still, especially tired, will behave aggressively.  I have to very carefully read his body language.  I'm able to hold him and still have him on my shoulder, but he is feisty to say the least.  Cage is good, diet is good, has toys, lots of time out of the cage.  If he's on the floor or furniture I can go right over to him and pick him up.  I'm afraid that now that the days are ever so slightly lengthening that shortly I'm going to be experiencing this again.  Even though a lot better now, he is NOT the same bird he was before he turned 3 years old.  Any suggestions?
Bill

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: Pionus being hormal
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:20:11 PM »
Yes, Pionus become sexual mature along the age of 3 years old so considering it is going to be breeding season real soon... which depending on the temp he is kept in can bring it on sooner.  They do have their biological clock within so the time of year that it is, is more of a factor. 

I guess all you can do is take precautions so you do not get bit and be patient.  You might be able to talk him out of his mood by distracting him into something else and if not, it is something you will have to ride out and give in to him and walk away for the time being and come back to him later to see if he has calmed down.

By the way, you did not mention what Pi specie he is?
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
No, they are never babies again!  We shared your shock when our Maxi began being hormonal at about 19 or 20 months.  He is now almost four years, and is very dominant, for a pi.  If he were an amazon  he would be considered mild.  Guess it's all perspective.  We just do not put our hands out when he is strutting, and try to keep him from foraging dangerous things off the table.  In the wild, the males fight and gather food, so I guess they are doing what they are supposed to do, just in an artificial environment.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:31:24 AM »

Actually, my Blue Head who is Blu, she is now 4.5 years old and she is extremely mild in her sexual tactics, like sticking her tail straight up with her chest down low and if I pet her back she always makes her little horny sounds but that's it so far and she never get aggressive towards me.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 12:38:15 AM »
Lurch has been a bit hormonal lately too. I hear him on his cage doing his I'm in the mood noises and fluffing, cheeping, and foot raising. Luckily he hasn't been any more pissy then normal once off his cage, and he certainly loves to hang out and get scritches, or chew on my tablet. You quickly learn when they're doing the strut to leave them alone unless you want some holes in your fingers.
Never had a Pi has a baby yet, all mine have been at least young adults by the time we found each other.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 04:46:21 AM »
My guy is coming on 2 years. So I am one year behind you. Like Momazon I am careful about when or how I approach but he has had sudden actions recently so I need to adjust more. I need to commit to more training to occupy him so he is concentrating on that and distracted. Consider Good Biird Inc dvds as they discuss training and how it improves the relationship especially in the trying time you describe with your pi.

Please tell us more. What species? What is his name? Photo?  :schild27:
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto