Author Topic: Looking for a pi in CA  (Read 5397 times)

Offline WaywardFlock

• Egg
Looking for a pi in CA
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
Hello,
I am in the market for a friendly pet pi. preferably a bronze winged or a dusky. Internet searches have not turned up much.
Any birdies needing homes you guys know of? =)
locates in CA los angeles area. Large indoor cage, and outdoor sun/ play cage already ready

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Looking for a pi in CA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »
Hi, welcome!

I just got my Bronze Winged from Wing Nuts Aviary in Indiana. I live driving distance from you in the OC. I agree they're hard to find out here these days. You do see BW rehomes listed here and there on the internet, so if you keep your eyes open to it and are patient, they're out there.

I had a Bronze Winged 7-8 years ago too. About that time (and before then) they were easier to locate. They weren't ever what you'd call common, but nonetheless they were fairly easy to find with some searching. Now, for whatever reason there are less people breeding BWs. I had to look out of state this time. Good luck in your search!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Micaboo may have a rehome, have not checked their site recently. Good luck!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
Yes Mickaboo has several pi I believe,  including a BW. I may have posted link in rehome section on this forum
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline WaywardFlock

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
I was and I guess currently still am in the process of trying to adopt Boo, but someone else is after him I believe who turned their application in before me by a month so not sure how they work. I haven't heard back from them about the phone class, so I'm not sure where I stand anymore.
That's why I started looking elsewhere as a back-up

Offline WaywardFlock

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:51:01 PM »
and that last bw pi is a breeder male. It says they lost the female to egg binding last breeding season. I am looking for a pet.
I've come across him before

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:28:29 PM »
I just replied to you on another parrot site... I mentioned about the Petfinder, so please just ignore me on there LOL. Wow, I had no idea there is all this being "in line" and the ad is still up. How many applications do they take before they take the ad down? (Rhetorical question). So you know you're on a list but they don't contact you, so you can't tell what's going on. Sounds irritating  :shocking: I hope you find one much more easily than that. I do see ads for rehome BW (but not Dusky) more often than you'd think, so don't give up. The one who is meant to be will just fall into place. Best of luck!

Offline WaywardFlock

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »
I do know they are all volunteer run and are very busy. I had a lapse in my response as well so I am trying to be patient. On another Pi site I saw two people going after these same mickaboo Pies. One person was trying for two of them. So That's when I went for a back up plan because with all my research, preparing, and hopes flying, I am set on a Pi!
I really had my heart set on Boo, but it seems so do a lot of people. =/
I am on the waiting list for their mandatory bird care class. As I am not local I need to be in one of their phones classes which I don't think they do too often. But it is very nice of them to have that availability for out of towners. They require a home check to and I am unsure how that works as well. I e-mail them asking if we could do the home check while I was waiting for the class but have yet to hear back.
I recently found a blue headed pi on craigslist personal sale for $475 including the cage $400 without cage . She says the bird is only 5 she bought it from a private sale. Beautiful bird, but now i'm torn. Do I get the bird I know I can have, or hold out for the possibility that I might get the bird I had my heart set on and miss out on this sale bird if it turns I don't get a mickaboo bird. They might not even approve me. Not sure why they wouldn't, but you never know.
Choices choices choices.  :shocking:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 03:04:53 AM »
Sorry that providing you links wasn't helpful. Best of luck in your search. Sometimes one has a bird in mind but meets another and there is a bond so one never knows.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »
Someone in one of the Facebook Pionus groups I am in said she is trying to decide between a bronze wing and a blue head both at Mickaboo - but her husband has his heart set on an eclectus. So it seems like they have both a bronze wing and a blue head

Offline WaywardFlock

• Egg
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 11:06:29 PM »
Finally heard back from mickaboo! I take the class in two weeks! ^_^
Just wanted to update you all and stay in contact. I hope once I get my new friend to stay on this forum and learn everything possible to make him as happy as can be  :hello1:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
Congratulations! Let us know what the class is about, and keep posting!

Offline WaywardFlock

• Egg
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »
The class is three hours long and goes over health, care, housing, behavior, ect.
i'm excited!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 01:12:17 AM »
Great news! Finally  :) which Pi is it? Is it the BW you wanted?