Author Topic: Raven accidentally stepped up!  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Raven accidentally stepped up!
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »
Although Raven was stepping up and getting scritches just fine for his breeder, he was still a little unsure of me the first day which was to be expected.

BUT...... When I tried the next day to gently get him to step up in his cage to get a piece of food, he was up climbing the side, and in the position he was in, he had no choice but to step on my hand or lose his balance, so of course he had no choice but to "step up". I guess when he realized he had both feet on my hand, he thought what the heck, I'll try it out LOL! I reassured him, but I could tell he was nervous, and with a very light wing clip that he came with, he flew onto the top of the entertainment cabinet (about chest high for me), and he almost fell backwards between the cabinet and the wall, so AGAIN he had no choice but to either step up onto my hand or fall! I guess since he's not wild, he thought "oh well" and stayed with me this time  :)

That was it. From then on he thought I was okay. Well, 80-90% of the time. It's only the end of the third day, so every now and then still he hesitated. So it was pretty funny how he was premature about it anyway.

** I had to have the vet give him a little tighter clip...  :( He was used to flying, and if you saw the layout of my apartment and placement of the doors you'd understand why! Also it was bad that he flew right to land on Robin's dome top cage DIRECTLY on top of where Robin was sitting!! Robin of course started snapping at Raven and even got my finger nipped a little as I grabbed Raven's feet and forced him away in a hurry, all the while poor Raven was screaming. So I can say I've heard what his loud sound sounds like!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Raven accidentally stepped up!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »
You may not have set up to do so but are you quarantining? Did you get vet testing? Good idea on clipping if set up has cages near enough. Great you are interacting....take in slowly....he will love you
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:28:04 AM »
I'm doing the best I can with that. Vet did the virus tests but results should be back next week. I think I'm one of the most bird disease paranoid bird people out there!  :shocking: and I usually take ridiculous precautions to keep my birds contagious disease free, but I have to remind myself we can not live in a bubble either!!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:42:05 AM »
I never found the first weeks to be easy with any bird, I was always too nervous.  Good riddance to the honeymoon phase!!!