Author Topic: Hormonal season  (Read 1473 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Hormonal season
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:17:02 PM »
My vet said Jan to March is hormonal season for pionus. Oh boy do I know this. Both boys are clucking and active. Charlie did this two step dance for 15 minutes on my hand with his tail doing a dance too. I am new to hormonal male birds and I am trying to learn and understand behaviour.  Neither seems to be rubbing on anything. Just really really active and a lot of clucking
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Hormonal season
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:43:48 AM »
My experience is males want to fight and forage, even stealing earrings and silverware, and females want to tear up phone books and rolls of bathroom tissue.  Please don't tell me no one else here has had that...

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:06:51 AM »
Hmmm maybe mine are not hormonal. But they are ultra active

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »
Makes me laugh when I read "apartment bird" and "couch potato"!!!!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »
Lurch has been doing the hey baby cluck and foot raises and things too so figured it must be that time of year. Luckily he hasn't been any more aggressive or pissy then normal :shocking:  :shades: Haven't seen him trying to make out with any toys either other then to do the mating dance by his favorite rock on top. I think  Nerd used to do it rarely, so we weren't absolutely sure he ever did it but seeing Lurch I'd say Nerd did too.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:07:29 PM »
Ok so maybe this is hormonal behavior after all. Sorry just not experienced with this....trying to figure out