Author Topic: Dislikes fruit?  (Read 5571 times)

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
Dislikes fruit?
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:48:28 AM »
My Pionus seems to like vegetables more than fruits. What I can do to make her eat more fruit?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Dislikes fruit?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:28:25 AM »
Lucky you. Veggies are much better than fruit for pi due to high sugar level in fruit. No need to get your pi to eat fruit. They need vitamin A and D. If you really want to feed fruit go for berries, cherries, pommegranate, mango, papaya, cantelope rather than apples or grapes which have less nutritional value. Try putting in mash if you feel your pi needs fruit.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:16:47 AM »
Good advice for you from maxsmom.
Good to see you back  :) Please post in White Cap area about how your little guy is doing nowadays!

Ps... You know you and I share a birthday?  :) (month and day).

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »
You will no doubt finds what your pi likes, and then it will change over time. My experience, if it helps, is that  Dobby loves all foods except starchy veg, my zon only likes starchy veg and no soft foods, and our senegal eats it all plus human flesh!  I just try to get orange and red foods down since they seem to have the most vitamins.  Now that we are in the northwest, I am looking into vitamin D supplements.  We bought a bottle of red palm oil and they liked it on whole wheat toast, but now it seems to  destroy simian habitats.  Will look for an alternative.

Mine also like dry whole wheat pasta to crack and brown rice and quinoa boiled and cooled. Will try to think what else and post.  I just give them what they like, just as I would a human

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »
Babycricky- I have to a  put veggies in bird bread for one of my pi to eat veggies - that is one reason I think you are lucky. And yes, please post more!

Monsoon - quinoa is a hit here too!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:38:53 PM »
I haven't tried fruit with Raven yet, but like maxsmom mentions, since it's full of sugar I'll have try it just as a treat and see what he thinks. There's not usually fruit around the house anyway, since I usually only like berries and summer fruit.

Seems like Raven is a pretty good eater from what I see so far. He was used to veggies at the breeder, so thank goodness I have ONE bird who isn't too picky. Looks like he is trying the broccoli, but drops a lot, so I can't tell if he's ingesting any or making crumbs.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
Nerd would kill for apple cores and slices, really liked broccoli, and a few other things plus anything we were eating. Lurch thinks apples are OK, tried bananas a couple of times and orange slices, and he's OK with carrots, and he SOMETIMES will eat broccoli.
We try to get him to try other things and he also likes corn and he loves papaya, plus anything we're eating of course.
Village Idiot

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:43:51 AM »
Lucky you. Veggies are much better than fruit for pi due to high sugar level in fruit. No need to get your pi to eat fruit. They need vitamin A and D. If you really want to feed fruit go for berries, cherries, pommegranate, mango, papaya, cantelope rather than apples or grapes which have less nutritional value. Try putting in mash if you feel your pi needs fruit.
I didn't know that. Thank you!  :ty1:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »
I didn't know that. Thank you!  :ty1:

What type of veggies does your wcp like?

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
Confirmed... Raven DOES like broccoli! :banana: :banana: my only good eater! So far carrots, peas, and squash too. I'm using frozen cubed thawed in microwave squash. Super mushy and messy, I can't wait to try fresh instead. Have yet to try yams and bell pepper. Not sure if bell pepper is nutritious? I think red is more so than green but will have to read up now that I have a guy who actually will eat a variety of veggies!

Not to hijack the post, hope BabyCricky replies what veggies  her wc likes  :)

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
The one fruit that everyone consistently likes is pomegranate seeds, both Pi boys and my green cheek conure. However I have to remove the seeds from the rind so I do a whole pomegranate at a time and keep the seeds in a container in the fridge and sprinkle some over their brealfast every day. I am alomost finished with the last pomegranate I had but do have bags of seeds in the freezer

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
...and you don't have red/purple spackled walls with pomegranate? I'm afraid of the permanent stains  :shocking:  :icon_mrgreen: Just a little bit sprinkled on breakfast sounds like a good idea though. Will try when I'm looking for something different.  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:57:28 AM »
No pom stains on walls. Perches are stained red though. Blue berry stains have luckily washed off walls. Pom is very popular

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
Ok, I'll keep that in mind about Pom. I know it's popular.
I saw at the local bird store they fed blackberries to some birds and it made a horrible mess on EVERYTHING in their area. Next time I was in there I was curious if it had stained to where they couldn't remove it, and it did.

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »
Good advice for you from maxsmom.
Good to see you back  :) Please post in White Cap area about how your little guy is doing nowadays!

Ps... You know you and I share a birthday?  :) (month and day).
Do you refer to me or to maxsmom?  :embarressed: