Author Topic: Adult weight  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Adult weight
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »
If you had a baby Pi who has grown up, about how old we're they when they became filled out to their adult mass and weight?

Raven weighed in at 225g. He is 5 months old. That's on the small side, but as I recall, baby parrots are skinnier and lighter than adults. He looks on the thin side to me, and I forgot to ask the vet about this. I thought I'd ask here since some of you have adults you got when they were juvenile.

In anyone's experience here, is 225 about normal for a 5 month old male BW? Thanks!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Adult weight
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
Nerd was always very skinny and underweight his whole life and usually weighed 214, vet was concerned but his labs usually came back great so they decided he was just a small version.
Lurch has been right at 250 the few times I could get him on the scale, and he much bigger all around the Nerd was, though Nerd made it over 31 years so he was doing something right.
The different species tend to be lighter then Maxi's I think so maybe your guy is right where he should be as of now. I'm sure Jan or somebody will jump in With better info on preferred weight for Raven.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »
The weights really vary among species of pi. Best for vet to determine good weight for your pi through physical exam of muscle mass. I do not think 225 is small at 5 months. Concentrate on healthy diet and eating and judge weight gain when he is one year old. I would only worry about weight now if he is losing weight.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
Ok. My vet felt him, swabbed, poked, flushed, etc. him, and I know he would have said something if he thought he was too skinny. I just know his breast muscle mass isn't as full as on most adults. Same with how the babies at the bird store always are.

What got me thinking was on the "weigh in" post, if I remember correctly the male BW were around 20 grams more. Maybe that was only his older brother Chante? I'll have to re-visit that post again and look. I know they can vary too. My RB parrot has been a slim guy his whole life as with Nerd.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »
Chante was 238 at 14 mo and about 241 (if I remember correctly) a few mo ago at 2 yr.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
Julie - you are a normal new owner. When I got Max I was concerned about weight gain. Looked at books and asked online on parrot forums. Went back to vet due to my concern and he told me what I mentioned in terms of vet determining best weight for my particular pi based on exam. My guy gained 20 grams since that visit to vet  :)

Don't worry

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
I figure they are prone to weight gain and will vary with the seasons. Like me...

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:45:05 PM »
Yes I think I'm being a typical "new mom"!
Though I've always thought of my birds as my little friends rather than kids. Maybe cause I've never had the desire to have a human baby? Still... I'm suffering from all the new mom worries haha  :shocking:

Just like Raven, I am being a little skittish  :icon_mrgreen: ....oh, speaking about skittish - he is more so now after the pretty invasive vet visit! That kind of broke the trust I think. It's gonna take time.

Thanks everyone.  I think his weight is within normal after hearing from you and reading  :) Also when holding him I snuck my fingers around to his breast area (which he didn't like) and he DID feel normal this time.
I just was assuming that 225g was small because in another post 2 people said their FEMALE BW was 225. I thought males were typically bigger though it varies quite a bit between individuals. Raven's clutch mate brother looked a lot bigger in the pics.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
According to The Practical Pionus weights for BW have been reported from 220 to 269.5  There will be variations even among clutchmates so I wouldnt worry at all about his weight

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
Don't mind or worry about the weight at all as long as the bird is eating and playing and seems to be fine.
They are so individual in weight so be more concern about the "weekly weight". I think it is important to weight them every week.

Always remember that this weekly weight can tell you so much more then the bird ever will tell you.
A vet tell me that if you see that the bird is sick, it is dying. I think that it is so true. (and sad too..)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Thanks Eloy's mom  :) yes, a scale on hand is important. My first BW I got in 2005 died of PDD, though she looked completely great (which is why I bought her). She was weighed at 190 when she started showing symptoms. Then, I thought that was normal for BW. Don't know for how long, since you can't tell so much by looking at a bird if it has become over or under weight. You're right, I DID need a gram scale. I still never bought one yet even with other parrots. Can you believe that?! I WILL go out and find one ASAP!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »
Nerd was very sleepy and droopy just before he died and at first we just figured he was having a rough patch and would bounce back like he always had. I hadn't weighed him in a long time and one night when I gave him a lift/push to hop and fly to his perch and he went right to the floor we realised it was more then just a bad patch. When the vet weighed him she said he was at 190 and was very weak :(
We all did what we could but he died a few weeks later :bawl:
If I'd known he was that light and weak he would have went in much earlier but he was always skinny so didn't notice he was a lot lighter then normal.
As far as scales kitchen shops, office stores, and eBay are great places to get OK ones for cheap. My last bigger nice one I got at a deal of the day site for about 15 shipped and I even had a really nice pro metal one that I got at a garage sale for 10 bucks but at that point Nerd was young and I mostly wanted to weigh meat and food so I sold it off again after a few years, should have kept it but it only weighed in KG/grams and I wanted LB's /oz, stupid me.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
Office store!  :Idea: good idea. I thought kitchen stores might be more high end/expensive. Maybe Target would sell them too  :dunno:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
Target probably has some I'd think. Do some research and decide what type or which one you want then start searching that one out till you find a seller with a good price in store or online. I'm also a big deal hunter so I'm on several deal sites where folks post up great deals and price mistakes so others can get what they want or need cheap and I've found many useful things to me that way cheap, and have found deals and shared them too. I like Slick Deals and Fat Wallet for those types of deals and they have a way for you to set deal alerts so when a deal pops up on something you really want you get a email alert, very handy if it's something your really need and can't afford full price for.
http://www.slickdeals.net   http://www.fatwallet.com You can hit the forums on either one and find all kinds of things.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »
Try Amazon or My Safe Bird Store