Author Topic: Head shake  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Head shake
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
Okay, I'm trying not to freak out here, but every now and then, Raven is doing this fast head shake. Far as I know, he is over the sinus infection (or breeder wouldn't have shipped him yet) and she finished his course of meds. Anyone else have this fast side to side (not up and down) head twitch? Fast shaking few times back and forth. The reason I'm so freaked out is that my BW who died of PDD did the same thing cause it was a neurological symptom.

I KNOW... My rational mind tells me: 1.) I've seen several people on forums who had a baby from same reputable breeder and they're great. Plus she's not ignorant on diseases. 2.) Seems like such a slim chance of exact same thing happening to same person with same species AGAIN.

Any ideas here  :dunno:

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
Re: Head shake
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:29:46 AM »
When my cockatiel got ill she fell to the floor and started to have convulsions as if she were in a seizure. Then she couldn't stand her head. When she got better, the vet said it was an ear infection that got extended to her head. Did you took your Pi to the vet?

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Head shake
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »
We are waiting for the new bird check up results from vet. Raven DID have a sinus infection at the breeder, but after his meds, he seemed to be over the infection. The update is that now I'm thinking it has either come back (very mild) or was not completely over it (even though he had no noticeable symptoms).
I say no NOTICABLE symptoms, but the vet did say Raven had some dried debris in his 'nose' so he flushed it. I was thinking it was left over from before, but maybe not?

Also yesterday when he was flapping (he's clipped but grips on and pretends to fly for 15 sec or so), after he was done flapping, his breathing did sound like a little "clicking" evident of mucus. You know like a 'wet' sound? Not too bad and obvious, but just a tiny bit if you listen closely. So, I wouldn't be surprised after the throat culture result comes back that it still shows a little infection hanging around. We'll see.

That is all I think it is now. I'm hoping. Sitting tight and waiting for results of all the tests of everything. He is just now coming around again (not being afraid of us and stepping up willingly), so if he needs to be restrained and given meds, that might break his trust again. :( Just like it took him a week to trust again after the invasive vet visit!