Parrot Foods, Health/Diet > Food Nutrition

Which veggies does your pi eat?

(1/4) > >>

maxsmom:
I have been struggling for nearly a daily basis for over a year to get Charlie to eat more veggies. A lot of food has been wasted. But I really do not want him on a mostly pellet and nutriberry diet. He readily eats corn but there is no other veggie I can definitely get him to eat. I do hide veggies in his Avian Organics bird bread though. I have tried mash. Cold. Warm. Chopped. Sweet potaoto. Sprinkling with hot pepper. Etc. I know Eloy eats everything under sun. For those of you with older pi....what veggies are a sure thing with your pi? Thanks for any ideas

Julie T:
So far, from what I've given him BW Raven likes:

Carrots
Broccoli
Red bell pepper
Peas (thawed frozen)
Butternut squash (thawed frozen, very mushy)

* just tried raw yams today. He took some bites out of the chunks, but I think he's unfamiliar with it yet and is getting used to it. At least he tried it!

I know the reason Raven is a good veggie eater is because he was just recently weaned (onto veggies and pellets). Older birds I know are so much harder. Robin only "juices" carrots and eats peas for veggies. I have tried and tried, and have never been able to get him on any other nutritious foods, that's why he gets Harrison's. I wish I had a suggestion for Charlie.  :) I know it's frustrating.

Oh! The fact that Robin juices his carrots just gave me an idea! :Idea: How about getting a juicer (or any other way you can think of to get some juice out of veggies) and pour it on his other foods? Vegetable juice has tons of nutrition!

maxsmom:
Veggie juice is an idea@! Thanks

Lo and behold I came home from work TODAY and Charlie's veggie bowl was empty and hardly any was on floor of his cage. I keep looking around to find the veggies......I think he ate the mash/chop of kale, chard, apple, pomegranate, broccoli, carrot, red pepper

Apparently I am dreaming. Hard to believe. I am lessening his supply of pellets so maybe I am wearing him down. Just offered dinner and he only nibbled a bit so he isn't starved

Julie T:
Awesome  :icon_mrgreen:  maybe since you've been reducing the pellets, he is starting to realize that what's in his bowl is what he has to eat! Hope this is a trend... Keep us posted!

momazon:
All mine eat them better when they are on a skewer, with us eating at the table at the same time.  They also eat better when they can steal veg off our salads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version