Author Topic: Which veggies does your pi eat?  (Read 5138 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Which veggies does your pi eat?
« on: January 27, 2014, 04:44:10 AM »
I have been struggling for nearly a daily basis for over a year to get Charlie to eat more veggies. A lot of food has been wasted. But I really do not want him on a mostly pellet and nutriberry diet. He readily eats corn but there is no other veggie I can definitely get him to eat. I do hide veggies in his Avian Organics bird bread though. I have tried mash. Cold. Warm. Chopped. Sweet potaoto. Sprinkling with hot pepper. Etc. I know Eloy eats everything under sun. For those of you with older pi....what veggies are a sure thing with your pi? Thanks for any ideas
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Which veggies does your pi eat?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
So far, from what I've given him BW Raven likes:

Carrots
Broccoli
Red bell pepper
Peas (thawed frozen)
Butternut squash (thawed frozen, very mushy)

* just tried raw yams today. He took some bites out of the chunks, but I think he's unfamiliar with it yet and is getting used to it. At least he tried it!

I know the reason Raven is a good veggie eater is because he was just recently weaned (onto veggies and pellets). Older birds I know are so much harder. Robin only "juices" carrots and eats peas for veggies. I have tried and tried, and have never been able to get him on any other nutritious foods, that's why he gets Harrison's. I wish I had a suggestion for Charlie.  :) I know it's frustrating.

Oh! The fact that Robin juices his carrots just gave me an idea! :Idea: How about getting a juicer (or any other way you can think of to get some juice out of veggies) and pour it on his other foods? Vegetable juice has tons of nutrition!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »
Veggie juice is an idea@! Thanks

Lo and behold I came home from work TODAY and Charlie's veggie bowl was empty and hardly any was on floor of his cage. I keep looking around to find the veggies......I think he ate the mash/chop of kale, chard, apple, pomegranate, broccoli, carrot, red pepper

Apparently I am dreaming. Hard to believe. I am lessening his supply of pellets so maybe I am wearing him down. Just offered dinner and he only nibbled a bit so he isn't starved

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »
Awesome  :icon_mrgreen:  maybe since you've been reducing the pellets, he is starting to realize that what's in his bowl is what he has to eat! Hope this is a trend... Keep us posted!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
All mine eat them better when they are on a skewer, with us eating at the table at the same time.  They also eat better when they can steal veg off our salads.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:39:55 PM »
Both my boys love brussels sprouts (I cant figure that one out), peas both in the pod and thawed frozen organic, green beans, sweet potato and butternut squash. Mostly everything else I try is hit and miss. they will eat a finely chopped mixture but only fresh.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:33:07 AM »
Thanks for ideas. I will try a skewer again with Charlie. I haven't tried that again in a while. Humm, Brussels sprouts....will give that a try.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »
I too, have a skewer... Will have to use it and see!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
Day 2. I came home to a nearly empty veggie dish again. Again I searched for the veggies on the floor of the cage. He ate chopped chard and kale and broccoli but left red pepper and apple just like yesterday. You can bet on what I will be chopping for Charlie in the morning.

My pi eats veggies! I do not know if I can contain myself. It has been 15 months of trying. :woohoo: :clapping: :cool2: :banana:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
Oh, I sauteed Brussels Sprouts tonight. It was not a hit with either of my pi. How do you prepare?

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »
Brussels sprouts raw, I just cut them in half or quarters

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
Thanks, Cetan

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 03:55:59 AM »
Cetan - I now eat Brussels sprouts. Thanks for adding that to my plate :-)....cooking healthy and preparing healthy for my birds and trying to provide a variety to them has been expanding the selection of what I eat....

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
Yay!!!  :banana: :banana: :banana: that must be a great feeling  :)

I fear Raven might be regressing... Now he is getting pickier and only eating certain things in his dish. He's gone a bit down in weight too. 232 down from 249! BUT he's ok and gained a few grams back within a couple days, after I only gave him his favorite veggies, and made sure he ate enough pellets. I realized he wasn't eating much when I gave him the certain veggies that didn't interest him.  :(

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
I have noticed that while Adam and Chante both love peas they leave the very outer skin of the pea itself - do anyone else s Pis do that?