Author Topic: Hello from Virginia!  (Read 2131 times)

Offline eshmirk16

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Hello from Virginia!
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »
Hello everyone!

My husband and I are proud "new" owners of a maximillian pionus. We were foster parents of the bird for about 2 years and now have adopted our bird, Pebbles.  We are unsure how old Pebbles is or if it is a girl or a boy. The parrot foundation we got him from was unsure also since the ID band had been removed from the bird and it had been in the hands of multiple owners.  Either way, we love our bird Pebbles. Pebbles has quite the personality and loves to eat peanuts!

-Erin

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Hello from Virginia!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »
Hi, He's a beauty and I've had Three Maxi's now in my life, Ferd and Nerd a couple of siblings and now Lurch. They are great companions and have their dignity but sure get to be a loyal friend ince they decide you are trustworthy and a good flockmate.
Ferd died early into my time with him but Nerd soldiered on for 31 years and was wild caught as far as I can tell with his brother. He had to be over 31 when he finally left us. Lurch is a used Parrot and has been through 3 owners including me and now after over 4 years mostly thinks I'm OK and worthy to be friends with though he does have his pissy moments.
As long as he stays healthy and no major accidents you should be in for a very long friendship and family member. We love more picts and progress reports :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:26:30 PM »

Welcome Erin!! Nice to have you here!  I had posted on your same question in the Maximilian forum so see my post there concerning your question!! 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »
Love those Maxis! You sure have a pretty one, and they are great birds. I love pi's! Many here do not feed peanuts due to risk of aspergillosis, but almonds seem a good substitute for our Maxi.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:21 PM »
Welcome Erin  :hello1: beautiful Maxi!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »
Love those Maxis! You sure have a pretty one, and they are great birds. I love pi's! Many here do not feed peanuts due to risk of aspergillosis, but almonds seem a good substitute for our Maxi.

I'd think if they weren't bought in the shell, like the kind that come in a jar with no shells they'd be free of aspergillosis risk? I've eaten peanuts where I've seen shells with a little black on them before that was probably a bit of mold.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 02:07:14 AM »
http://2ndchance.info/birdlover.htm

Welcome! I would agree...I encourage you to try other treats with Pebbles...shell or no shell..peanuts are not thought to be best food for pionus. The only way one knows if they are ok is to call manufacturer to inquire about screening...but I believe peanuts are known to have asper spores shell or no shell

I hope you enjoy our forum. We are friendly pionus enthusiasts. Did you adopt through PL?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto