Author Topic: How much do they eat?!  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
How much do they eat?!
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »
Raven was wanting food from the moment he first came out of the crate. He is not only a good eater, but it seems he wants food a lot more than he should? I don't recall how it was when I had a juvenile  Pi before... Do the baby Pi's (he's 5 months old) want food more often than the adult parrots? I'd think it would be good for him to eat a lot at his age, but wanted to get everyone's feedback about this to make sure it's nothing out of the ordinary.

One of my Budgies over eats constantly and is now dangerously obese (30% increase in body weight gained in 6 months), so the vet put him on a diet and he has his separate cage now. I hope Raven just knows when to stop eating. It seems like an awful lot (often). I don't think Raven will end up like Pix, but it just brings this concern to mind. Thanks.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: How much do they eat?!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:40:57 AM »
Maximus ate a lot at 4 months. He still does at 22 months. Cleans out 2 10 oz bowls....so does Charlie. One bowl has pellets and the other fresh food.

Given Raven as much as he desires and give a variety of fresh and different pellets too.....best to get him liking everything and willing to eat different things
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: How much do they eat?!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:05:57 AM »
Dob eats a lot but he flies all over and doesn't gain weight.  Our senegal eats more than you would ever think, and throws it around terribly!  The zon is pretty sedentary and in the winter kind of goes off her food.  Seems bored.