Parrot Foods, Health/Diet > Food Nutrition

Cleaning vegetables

(1/1)

Julie T:
Does everyone here use organic? I did at one time, but I don't now. Maybe I should go back to that.

Especially if they're not organic, what do you use to clean the outside of your veggies? These days I just rub them thoroughly with water long enough where I think it's safely clean. I used to use a small amount of dish soap or antibacterial soap, but then I was always wondering if I was still leaving a trace amount no matter how much I rinsed. I've seen products (spray) for veggie cleaning, but I don't know what it's made of. You'd think it would be safe, but does anyone know about that product? How do you make your veggies clean?

momazon:
I get a CSA box that is organic, and today I heard that Alzheimer's seems related to pesticides.  I knew Parkinson's occurs heavily in agricultural areas and has long been linked to sprays. Years ago I knew a neurologist who worked with these diseases, our daughters were in some activities together, and this lady never ate sugar or sprayed foods.

A recipe was listed online for washing produce, and it was lemon juice, baking soda, and water, I think. It also helps to peel everything, but some things like strawberries grow in soil that has been drenched or fumigated.  Makes you afraid to eat.

Julie T:
Wow yeah, now I'm afraid to eat  :shocking: Interesting though. I've heard that pesticides permeate the skins of some vegetables and fruits. Maybe I will go back to organic. I try to cut costs, but I don't need a big quantity anyway.

Cetan:
I try to get organic as much as possible, sweet potatoes, carrots, kale, greens I always buy organic. I also try to get organic berries, especially strawberries

maxsmom:
Yes I get organic as much as I can. I bought a veggie wash to get pesticides off but I really do not use it...I need to start...better than not using it even if chemicals permeate

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version