Author Topic: Pi's and biting  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Pi's and biting
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »
Something I've been wondering about...
It's generally said about Pionus that they are not known to be a nippy species, and a well adjusted pet is not quick to bite.

I did notice, that Raven (5 month old male) isn't "beaky" in the least, let alone "bitey". Even though he is young, I'm asking because some species WILL bite hard already by that age.

Any one of you who had a Pi as a juvenile, did you notice that they didn't use their beak much even to 'feel' you?
Did they seem to be mature (or close to it) before they ever bit with a considerable strength?

Just curious if Raven is being your stereotypical young Pi boy, or if it might just be an individual behavior trait. I'm crossing my fingers that this might be an indication  that he will be on the gentle side by nature. I know too soon to tell for sure though.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Pi's and biting
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »
Well, we had had a caique and an amazon, so Dobby was very un-beaky.  He is not the nippiest, though he does need to fight with my hats within the last few months. Normally he is far less nippy than my zon and certainly worlds les bitey than our rehomed senegal.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:39:57 AM »
My comparison is to my tiels......so to me pionus bite more. I always am on guard with both of my pionus. I did not find that to be case with tiels. I was in shock when I got my pionus...
and I got one.as baby and I have an older rehomed one. i do not get biten often but that is because I always watch body language as both are prone to change mind and snap after inviting attention.

She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
Robin my RB parrot does that - invite attention then bite. Only Poi's don't show any obvious body language before biting usually. I am always aware of where my fingers are, especially during his breeding season. As an older guy he finally mellowed out a little more and doesn't bite too often now. 

At least Pi's show clear body language. I will have to learn what that looks like... The BW Pi I had before passed away at just one year old and was female. I never had any biting with her. She also never did the Pionus wheeze. I am only now finding out what it sounds like, as Raven does it all the time. I can see their individual personality differences. Maybe also difference in male and female.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
MY senegal bites without body language, so I call her The Barracuda. New world parrots are more my cup of tea, though the sennie has a place in my heart.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
Vast majority of my bird experience has been with old world species. I'm lovin' my Pi though!  :heart3: he's so sweet.