Author Topic: Size and type of bird toys  (Read 6041 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Size and type of bird toys
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:09:13 AM »
Hi -

Lately I have been realizing that while I have provided lots of toys that perhaps they were not the right type of toys for my birds or not enough variety.  Charlie is a chewer.  But it is pine wood and not on the thin size he chews a little but doesn't bother much...same with Max.  So larger blocks even as wide as 1/4 inch do not always interest him always (although he loves the Chunky Monkey by Oliver's Garden).  I found balsa 1/4 slats though and he goes through them daily.  He starts chewing even as I put them in the cage on a skewer.  I found some pine 1/8 wafers and those are a huge hit.  I switched some of Max's toys to thinner wood or balsa and have noticed a change as well.  So the wooden spools, beads, slats, etc that I had bought and lasted me a year lasted not because Max isn't a big chewer but because they weren't in size or type of wood he preferred.  Given they are chewing through at least 2 skewers of wood parts a day each I am trying to  mainly use toy parts rather than buy toys.  When I buy toys, they seem to do better with the toys for little birds rather than mid sized ones.  Keeping their minds occupied is an expensive endeavor....I also use paper towel and toilet paper cardboard rolls and stuff tissue paper through...also a hit (sometimes Charlie picks the roll up and shakes it at me or Max if we are getting in his space too much.  I wonder if I should be providing more mental challenge with harder toys but it seems that not too much challenge will actually discourage my birds.  I guess for now I am sticking to what they will actually use

What is your experience with the type of bird toys your birds really use?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Size and type of bird toys
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »
So far, it seems like Raven's favorite toys are any shreddable type. Except this one shreddable that he doesn't touch. Like your Pi's, Raven also is not interested in the wood block toy with 1/2" thick pieces. When Nancy said Chante is a real wood chewer, I was prepared to have to get more wood, but turns out he's not a big chewer at all. I can't give that toy to little Robin either, since he also only likes wood if it's much smaller than intended for his beak size. Maybe I will hang it in a different position and see if it can at least get some use!
I figure with Raven, as his personality continues to open up here, and as he gets older we'll see if his tastes change or not. So far it doesn't seem like he is super into playing with toys.

It's surprising that my mom's Princes of Wales parakeet (which is usually just kept as an aviary species), actually will pull down on a couple small plastic rings on a treat dispenser to get his treat. He is so smart and active. People often underestimate smaller species.
Anyhow, the parrots Robin and Raven don't seem too interested in smart toys... Too lazy? LOL

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »
Try smaller, less thick wood with Raven

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
All Pionus love the punch holes in paper game so save junk mail and like that and act like you want it and they'll sneak up and chomp away.
Think I still have a dollar bill Nerd got before I caught him that has many beak sized notches in it.
Lurch loves chewing on the empty splenda packets too and will chew them like gum and I think he cleans his beak with them plus he probably gets some sweet taste too.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »
Anything Eloy can destroy is/was a good toy!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
If I can decide, this is NOT Eloys toys, but he think so.. (He owns everything here, including me. LOL!)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »
But he's so HAPPY destroying your world... :biglaughing: :shades: The mouse I use has a chunk missing outa the scroll wheel from when Nerd used to love to sit on the desk drawer here, the expensive Microsoft digital joy stick I used to use has some insulation missing on the cord, and those chomped dollar bills around here somewhere, and he did chomp a few remote buttons too but not quite that badly.
They're lucky we love them that's for sure :blink: Lurch hasn't managed to destroy anything important yet but I'm sure he'll get something, plus he makes so much wind when he flies anything light goes sailing all over the floor.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »
I agree with Dartman that Eloy's SO HAPPY destroying all of your nice things! Lol
I keep my birds off limits to most places and they're clipped so they have no choice anyway :(
My point being... that though my stuff stays in tact, they don't have quite as much "fun" as Eloy does  :)
I'd better not show Robin and Raven your pics or else they'll protest and say 'that's no fair, Eloy and other birds get to!" You know 'kids' LOL!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:34:08 AM »
Yes Eloy looks to be having great fun. Good for him especially if it works for JT.

Makes me happy to be steadily buying toys parts for a skewer. Other than chewing a window sill nothing in my house has been destroyed by Charlie. Max likes my phone and remote control but he is easily diverted to a bird toy.

My tiels ruled my home. I had to do a lot of repair before I sold the house. But they didnt chew bird toys.

Seems there is a trade off.  I will stick with large orders of balsa wood. :-)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:36:54 AM »
JT - What does the warning sign (with Eloy's images on it) say in the one photo?

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
Yes Eloy is having so much fun, but I don't!! *Crying*
Everything Eloy destroys is of course all my fault. I'm a slow learner. LOL!

The sign say: Warning! Don't open the door when Eloy is around, thanks!
On the other side it say: Don't touch me! If you do that my mom will bite you! (yes I can bite too, LOL!)
Outside another sign that say: Warning! Inside here is a playful and free-flying parrot! Enter on your own risk. LOL!

And YES I like signs!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »
I'd better not show Robin and Raven your pics or else they'll protest and say 'that's no fair, Eloy and other birds get to!" You know 'kids' LOL!
You know, Eloy is telepathic.  :shocking: He have already told them. Just wait and see.  :icon_mrgreen:  :wink1:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »
I love your signs! Great idea.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 11:43:22 PM »
Now I feel better about Dobby's pranks, lol! Maybe boy Maxis are alike.  I love he signs, too :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 12:27:28 AM »

Makes me happy to be steadily buying toys parts for a skewer. Other than chewing a window sill nothing in my house has been destroyed by Charlie. Max likes my phone and remote control but he is easily diverted to a bird toy.

Wow has life  changed.... Charlie chews everything. Everything....I mean everything....frames of paintings, coating off wiring (dead wiring ), wood work for my fireplace mantel, doors, moulding, window  sills.....he has lots of toys...he destroys them most days ....still he  chews everything  in sight in my home. He is sneaky about it......I try to stay on top of the situation  and watch him. I have been bird proofing my home especially with live wires....I put duct tape over 6 feet of wiring and he chewed away duct tape...can't  be careful enough....gosh

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »
Nerd loved chewing the ac wires to a old sewing lamp that we used yo hold his heat ceramic stone thing. We gave up and it became his chew toy and heater holder.
Lurch will chew on the wool army blankets on both recliners in the living room he likes to sit on but luckily so far he can't reach the wires to that same ceramic heater we use for him during the winter.
He hasn't been able to chew through the blankets but sure enjoys trying and cleaning his beak or showing what a rough tough motorcycle rider he is :biglaughing:
Village Idiot