Author Topic: Size and type of bird toys  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Size and type of bird toys
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
I'd better not show Robin and Raven your pics or else they'll protest and say 'that's no fair, Eloy and other birds get to!" You know 'kids' LOL!
You know, Eloy is telepathic.  :shocking: He have already told them. Just wait and see.  :icon_mrgreen:  :wink1:

LOL, you know, I only saw this reply today, and it was posted in February! I wasn't ignoring you haha.

I also said here that Raven isn't much into playing with toys... Now almost 8 months later and there is hardly a toy that he won't play with!! He and Griffin can't get enough of their toys, and they like ALL types. Raven isn't good at smart toys though. He will give up.

I think Raven's choice in toys is also influenced by his buddy Griffin the Ruppell's. He's much more assertive, outgoing, and active than Raven is, and between the two friends, I think Griffin is the leader, although he's younger and smaller LOL!
Griffin loves to chew wood block toys 1/2" thick and much bigger than you'd think he'd like for his size. He's a real little wood chipper. It was only then after seeing that, that Raven decided he liked wood blocks too! Raven was never interested in puzzle toys at all, until he saw Griffin working with one. Raven now tries for a few minutes before giving up, but so far has not been successful getting the bead out of it like Griffin can do within minutes haha. I can't believe how fast Griffin destroys toys. My other Poi is nothing like him. He's much more sedate.

Anyway, I think it's hilarious how Raven is getting influenced by his little friend, and has to try everything that he does!  :biglaughing:

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 01:34:24 AM »
So sorry Maxsmom! They are like small little beavers aren't they?  :busted2:

Julie, so happy to hear that! ♥ I believe that they play a lot if the are happy and healthy.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
That is funny, Julie, especially  given Griffin is a baby! How old is Griffen? 6 months? But glad I am not only one reversing a post! Nice to read old posts and compare to present behavior. My birds don't seem to do well with harder foraging toys

JT- I am going to have to get a carpenter to do repair work when I move, hopefully that is no time soon. Charlie walks around seemingly bored looking for more toys as he considers everything in house a toy.....apparently all of the actual bird toys I rotate on a daily basis because he destroys them are not enough. But I adored him.

Eloy seems to do his own damage too! But why have a pet if can't spoil him!!@@###???
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
Griffin is "exactly" 7 months old today  :).
I know, it's hilarious with Raven. I think he secretly 'looks up to' little Griffin haha. He does follow his lead with most everything. He even lets Griffin invade his cage and food and push him out of the way in his own home! :shocking:. He doesn't even mind if the budgie comes over to play and eat lol. He is SO passive with other birds!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 04:00:30 AM »
Well that is good to extent that Raven gets along with others

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:19 PM »
I love how Raven is opening up to trying new toys because of Griffin, but today Raven was a very bad boy  :(.
Griffin LOVES to be bad and climb down Raven's cage into the space underneath the grate. There is about an 8" (?) space between the newspaper and the underside of the grate. He knows it is not allowed, but does it as often as he could get away with it. He also goes on the floor, which is dangerous being small and gray.

So... By now Raven has seen these 'forbidden' things that Griffin does. Yesterday he decided to try climbing down to the floor, and today he snuck under the grate!!  :shocking:. When I see it starting to happen, I'll show them a safflower seed and they'll follow my hand up the cage where they belong. Or if they turn around and go up on their own they'll get a seed. Otherwise it's a time out.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »
Good positive reinforcement  on your part

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 10:08:10 PM »
Thanks  :) We've been working on it, and Raven responds pretty well. Of course a safflower seed is irresistible afterall!

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 09:13:16 AM »
Raven is now showing that he too is a Pionus beaver hybrid like Chante  :biglaughing:  I have a bunch of Expandable Habitat skewers and just buy wood blocks and slats to string up safe toys for him to chip up, he has about 4 at any given time plus a few toys that he likes in his cage. That is how I discovered he likes almonds in the shell  so much a few years ago, I bought a few pounds after Christmas when the stores had them on clearance thinking that they would be good chew toys for him if he didnt eat them.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
Yes, Raven has discovered a love for wood, but I don't think he is quite as much beaver as Chante from what you say lol!  :icon_mrgreen: I'm just glad he's "trying" to keep up with Griffin lol. Keeps him from becoming a perch potato Pi  :icon_mrgreen:

It's little Griffin who is really part beaver or cockatoo or something! Ruppell's parrot, he's about Senegal sized or a little smaller and will completely destroy an Amazon size wood toy within days.  :shocking: He's also constantly on the move looking for something to chew or swing on or play with. I call him "busy beak". I wasn't prepared for that since my other Poi is nothing like that.