Author Topic: Pi having fun with parakeets  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Pi having fun with parakeets
« on: February 09, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »
Because Raven is still young and very tolerant of other birds, we thought it would be fun. Of course with close supervision. Pix and Twigs didn't know what to think! Robin couldn't be included since he'd like to kill them all!

Everyone is here visiting Twigs (yellow). Pix has his own cage now because vet ordered a diet. He also has a tough personal trainer, with sessions every day :) He already lost a few grams (45g now). 14g more to go!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Pi having fun with parakeets
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
I used to have a couple of parakeets before The family finally decided I could have another parrot and Nerd and Ferd used to love going into the keets cage and stealing their food. Looked like a huge green dinosaur or two sitting in there and I think the keets were smart enough to be upset but leave them alone.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
One of my internet friends has a Maxi Pi that now makes budgie sounds picked up from her two. My sweet budgie Mac who passed away on Dec used to love sitting on Adams cage and singing to him, Adam would tolerate it for a while but he is not the most social of birds and eventually would just sort of hiss at Mac who would fly away and start all over again about 5 minutes later.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
Wow! Raven looks so big in comparison
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:37 PM »
How adorable looking Raven is with his widdle friends.  He does look a bit menacing but the budgies don't seem to mind.  :icon_mrgreen:

It is so nice that you can let them interact and everyone keeps all toes intact.  None of my birds likes the next one, except the 10 budgies in the same cage together. The rest all have to have their own play perches and enclosures/cages (I keep calling them enclosures cause the macaws have walk in homes and I don't consider a 5'X5'X6' space a cage). And they definitely don't like me messing with another. And if I walk too close to one holding another one I get a smart nip on the arm from a macaw for forgetting my manners.  :biglaughing:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:39:28 PM »
I think age has everything to do with it though. Everyone who gets along is still young and has been socialized with other birds from a young age.

Robin is the mature adult, and he hates other birds. Poi's generally do. That's why I wanted to socialize Griffin while he's a baby, and Raven is a juvenile too. By the time I had my other birds in the mid 00's, Robin was already older and not having any of it!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 12:08:57 AM »
I, too, think age is the key. Makes sense, I always had a soft spot for kids I watched grow up...