Author Topic: Raven talks!  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Raven talks!
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
Just this week, Raven has been playing with more toys (ones he's never touched before) including the wood! Although I can see a thinner wood would be better from now on.

ANYWAY... Another new development this week is that 5 1/2 month old Raven has said his first words!  :icon_mrgreen: He says "hiiii" and "good boy". I'm trying to get him to say 'I'm Raven'. I hope he will. It's so fun to hear him. My female lived for about a year, and she never even attempted to talk. Do female Pi's typically not talk or as much as males?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Raven talks!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:57:48 AM »
Glad Raven is playing and it is very exciting for words already. My understanding is that males are generally better speakers....there are exceptions
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
Congrats! :D
I think it is individual, Eloy can't say a word, and he is soon 2 years old...

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
Nerd never talked, he made wild pionus sounds and we understood each other fine. Lurch came here knowing how to talk though it certainly wasn't a requirement.
He has picked up some words and phrases we use plus the ones he knew before he got here. When he's excited when I first get home or just happy to see me after a while he'll rattle off a bunch of words in his raspy pirate voice and just do general noises that may or may not be actual words, plus the nonsense or foreign words he knows.
He tends to really fluff and stretch his neck funny when he decides to talk and sometimes tries to feed me too.
I think JT is right, some decide they like the words and start trying to say them, others figure they already have their bird language and it's up to us to understand it :biglaughing:
I know Lurch will pick a favorite word when he thinks he's alone and say it in all the ways he's heard or can think of, and he's picked up that some words are for certain things, like saying hi or hello when he first see's us.
I miss Nerd unique wild noises, love listening to Lurch try to say things and both were unique individuals. It's great that Raven decided he wants to talk and now maybe he'll pick up many more words, or maybe just a few favorites, plus he'll still try to get you to understand his bird language. :shades:
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
So it seems some Pi's decide to talk and some don't. Of course I wasn't even expecting it, since Pi's are not a species that are typically good at talking. That's why I was so surprised to hear it at his age. His breeder did say that Raven was always the most "chatty" of the four babies, and even in pics compared to his siblings, I could tell he was the outgoing one.

Robin (Red Bellied parrot) is even learning new words out of jealousy :biglaughing: it's hilarious! He's getting so insecure regardless how much I reassure him. He even says "Raven" now. He's being good about it for the most part, but the other day he bit me in the face unexpectedly!

** oh, another new thing that Raven did was want a bath! The gardeners were outside, and the noise made him assume the posture... I ran for the spray bottle and sprayed away! He loved it.