Author Topic: ~~Sierra's Humble Abode~~  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
~~Sierra's Humble Abode~~
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:36:20 AM »
Thought I'd throw in a few photos of Sierra's cage on here. I do need to give a little background on her cage first. Aside from a few of my budgies, Sierra is my only 'spur of the moment' parrot purchase. I was in one of the local pet shops in my area just looking around the day after Christmas this past Dec. So they have this cute little dark green parrot in a glass enclosure. I am staring at this little one and the young employee who has suckered me into many a purchase in the many years I have known him asks, "Do you want to hold him?" "What is he?" I ask. "A white capped pionus. They are really neat birds." he quips. Against my better judgement I make the mistake of holding this little green wonder.

Long story short I instantly become a pionus owner and head home with my prize. Since I have several other parrots and have had many other kinds of critters, I have extra cages available. I set Sierra up in a temporary cage as the one I first used didn't suit me for her. I had one picked out I was planning to order, just had to wait a little while to replenish the surprise parrot purchase I just made. (thank goodness I have a very understanding hubby that knows better than to tell me no and welcomed this little newbie with open arms. I'd like to tell you Sierra returned the favor, but she bit him instead) In the mean time I decided to give my 6 remaining snakes to an ex coworker who is raising her 2 nephews. They love reptiles and I needed the space for my growing flock and I didn't have a room for just the snakes.

So it turns out that my gift to my friend was in turn repaid by her giving me 2 small cages she inherited from her Dad after he passed. She didn't keep birds and the cages were in the way. The 2 cages are just alike except for the color and are good cages with play areas on the top. One cage by itself was not nearly large enough for Sierra in my opinion. So I had Jerry put them together to make one nice size cage for her. So after giving them a very thorough cleaning and letting them sit in the sun for a few days to dry, Jerry joined the two into one. I was gone to town while he worked on the cages and when I got back he had it done. Lets just say I was not impressed with his bit of laziness of not wanting to drill new holes to bolt the cages together and instead he used the existing bolt holes. Therefore, the doors now sit at opposite ends of the cage instead of side by side!  :thdope: It looks a bit funny, but actually it works pretty well this way and I have since forgave Jerry for it all.  :yes:

These last two photos were taken a few days ago. You can see from the first photos the white cap
and her blue neck has gotten more intense as she nears 1 yr old.

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: ~~Sierra's Humble Abode~~
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »
Just gorgeous! I love the blue coming in  :). Raven STILL hasn't even started molted into adult colors and he's the same age as your Sierra. Late bloomer I guess, although he 'acts' like an old man lol.

Clever to take the side panels out of the cages and make them into one! Nice they were the same depth and height for it to work.

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »
Thanks Julie T, it was a lucky strike that both cages are the exact same and fit together perfectly. A bit odd and not a showy cage, but hey free is free and the Ewok has not complained one least bit about her hand-me-down.  :dog1:

Awww, Raven wants to be young & cute a little longer. OK, young cute & grumpy old man like.  :biglaughing:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:46:13 PM »
The Ewok lol. Sierra's cage is nice and big, which is always great. Has two play tops also!

Haha.. He's cute, in a teenage boy sort of way lol! I really wonder why Raven hasn't molted yet. I had a Female Bronze Winged about 8 years ago who passed, and she was half in adult color by one year old. Maybe Raven will start soon. We moved about a month ago, and the lighting, and overall environment is different, yet still no molting! How old was Sierra when she first started the molt into adult color?

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 12:03:38 AM »
Just in the last month or so her color has come in around her neck. So 10 months I would say since she is almost 11 months old now. This being my first pionus  it is all new to me. The pet shop where I got her from had two when they first got them in, hatched from same clutch one day apart. I didn't get to see the other one, it was already gone by then.  I did see a photo of it on their FB page and it already had a much larger white cap than Sierra.  These guys seem to move at their own pace with their coloring.  :dunno:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 12:24:42 AM »
Interesting... I guess there's nothing "wrong"?  :dunno: Couldn't be any 'condition' or disease where they don't molt! Well, Sierra certainly is beautiful!  :icon_mrgreen: