Author Topic: Possessive?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Erika

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Possessive?
« on: February 11, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »
I have 2 Pionus'.  I got my first one named Raleigh (Maximillian) in 2009, he was less than a year old then.  Sweet as could be and learned to talk.  I decided to get a second one, his name is Winston (Blue Headed), in 2011, i think he was a year old already.  Ever since i got my second Pionus, Raleigh has been aggressive towards me.  They've always had their own cage and i would let them out to play together, which would be fine.  But if i come near the cages, Raleigh puffs up, opens his beak, clearly ready for biting.  Sometimes he'll be sweet and step up for me and when i get him alone, all sweetness again.  He doesn't let me near Winston without coming for my hands.  It got bad enough that i was having difficulty getting him back in his cage, so i had to towel him to protect my hands to get him back in his cage.  Now he will step up when he sees the towel, he apparently doesn't care for it, neither do I!  They have seemed to really enjoy each other though, so i allowed them to bunk together for the past 6 months.  It's been great until a few days ago, then Winston decided to go after Raleigh.  So now they are separate again.  I want my sweet Raleigh back, I don't know if it's Winston or me causing the problem.   I let them out everyday, they can fly if they want, plenty to chew on, good foods, I talk to them, play with them, etc.  Just don't know.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Possessive?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
Hi again! So are you sure both are definitely boys? I think it is always a risk when one adds a second. Do you give them separate out of cage time with you? Try target training them separately. Redirect energy toward you. Sorry not an expert in behaviour but I bet one on one training with each will change your relationships.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:28:33 PM »
Please post photos!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »
Welcome Erika! Not sure what would work, but I might try out time separately, as mentioned, to do training strategies.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:09:10 AM »
Good Bird Inc or Behaviourworks (Susan Freidman) have good resources for training

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
Do you give them separate out of cage time with you? Try target training them separately. Redirect energy toward you. Sorry not an expert in behaviour but I bet one on one training with each will change your relationships.
For me that sounds like really good advice that is working.
And another advice is that when they are out together, ignore them and don't try to play with them.
And separately, they can have your attention and you can play or training tricks with them.

Good luck! ♥

Offline Erika

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »
Thank you for all your replies!  Well to kind of answer everyone, I received my birds from the same breeder who told me they are males.  I wondered that myself, but really have disregarded it, even though i know that is important when addressing behavior issues.  Raleigh will engage with me alone but Winston will call out to him and distract him.  And Winston alone just acts like he wants to get away from me and just be with Raleigh, he's always been kind of a hyper fidgety bird.  Do you think more mom time playing and training will help would do the trick?  I do sometimes feel like i should never have gotten Winston, cuz that's when everything changed, harder to enjoy them like i want to.  I hate to say that.  I'm so sad that I even tell Raleigh as if he understands that I love him so much and want him back, like that's going to change things.  The rest of my birds are great! I will post pics this weekend, been doing some overtime and my good pics are on my better camera.  I bought this little metal tree with ten round picture frames dangling from the limbs.  You can put pics front and back, so my goal is to put each parakeet on one side (10) exactly and the rest on the other.  It should be real cute!  Haven't heard of the Behavior  works, i will check that out and start this weekend with some alone time with them both, play and training.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »
When I first got my two original Maxi's it was a couple of brothers that were wild caught back in 78. They were pretty gentle but really loved each other and spent all of their time together. They were OK with me but that was about it and would fly to me to get treats.
Ferd bird just very suddenly got sick, was fine in the morning, sick in the afternoon, then dead by 8pm that night even with trying some antibiotics form the vet :bye2:
That was a few years in to having them, Nerd never was affected but was very sad for a while then realized he was stuck with me and over time we became best friends for the rest of his life, and he was with me for 31 years.
I think you do have to show him that you are a friend and fun things happen with you and right now he really likes the other bird so you have to change up their dynamic without getting them mad at you or each other.
I think with some work you can get both of them to like hanging out with you again but it might take some time and others have had good advice and I'm sure more good options will be given by others. I haven't had to deal with this issue in years as Nerd was my only bird for most of his life, and Lurch is the same, and another Maxi.
They are great little stubborn souls though that once they decide your their world will stick with you forever.
Village Idiot