Author Topic: Possible hybrid?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
Possible hybrid?
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »
someone  on one of the facebook Pionus groups I am in posted a picture of her 3 yr old blue head but she has a yellowish colored beak, not black like I have typically seen. She said that the breeder told her that both the parents also have light beaks. So you think it is possible they are hybrids? Maybe with a bronze wing. Here is a picture

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Possible hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 12:44:36 AM »
Wow  :shocking: really interesting! I was thinking maybe crossed with something closely related like Amazon? Second thought, maybe not. My guess wouldn't be BW. Hmm, I'm stumped.  :dunno:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:07:32 AM »
I looked at the fact sheet that lists subspecies.http://www.upatsix.com/faq/pionus.htm. This bird doesn't fit description for BH subspecies.  I actually think there is a mix of white cap in this bird. Yellow beak and white chin are typical of wcp. But I have seen photos of 2 BH- WC hybrid pi. They have peach colored cap. But all hybrids do not look alike. The blue on this bird is closer to WC blue than brightness of BH blue. Anyway my guess is BH bred with WC is at some point in this bird's ancestry if not the direct parents.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:41:59 AM »
And I just noticed grey/black on beak. Max had a little black on his beak as a baby but now has pure yellow beak as an almost 2 year old. It is bird is 3 years old that is further evidence of hybrid somewhere in his past.

Also the  breeder may have been honest but misinformed. For instance when I call Charlie's breeder after I adopted him I found out the breeder thought he was maximilian and had not realized she created a hybrid until I called and she checked her records.  A male CB died and when she put a female CB in a cage with a maxi male and female a hybrid was created.  My vet says breeders often do not know they have hybrids.....lots of irresponsible breeding out there like with Charlie.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
Maxsmom said just what I was thinking (white capped) but didn't say it because the lack of any sort of cap threw me off. The chest looks like WC in there somewhere I thought.

Sad that breeders often don't know what they have. Eclectus have similar looking subspecies, and now they are all mixed up. The longtime pro breeders dedicated to preserving the different subspecies are few and far between.
The only exception where I personally think hybridization is okay is in the large macaws for pet purposes. Some of the color combos they get are so gorgeous.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:22:04 PM »
Sad that breeders often don't know what they have.
And that they sell them..  :shocking:

It could be a hybrid of both WC and BW, and it can be both of them too. You never know, and that is so sad.
I think that you should never cross any Pionus at all, not even as a pet in your own home, one day you can die and then the bird are getting another home, e.t.c..

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »
BW appears to have white throat and yellow beak as well as WC. Is that so?

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 10:39:22 PM »
It's salmon pinkish. Some are dark salmon, some are light pink, and anywhere in between.
I don't know if this is more genetic or diet based. I do know that BW who eat Harrison's will molt out with a dark salmon throat. Some BW have a narrow strip of white just at the very top of the pink, right under the beak, but not near as much white or as far down as on a White Capped.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 04:02:33 AM »
Thanks Julie. I didnt think BW had a white chin like this hybrid but I was wondering. 

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 03:41:35 AM »
Agree that breeders and owners should be careful not to create hybrids. But once a hybrid hatches, hybrids deserve homes and normal lives. They should be sold or adopted with full disclosure. Owners of hybrids should be careful not to let them reproduce....knowingly allowing a male and female pi to mingle seems to create a situation where further breeding can occur. I know some owners have DNA sexed birds. The results were incorrect and they actually had a different sex than they thought....so their birds may breed and hybrids can result....bUT the owners did not knowingly allow hybrids to be created....stuff happens

This hybrid is beautiful
Sad that breeders often don't know what they have.
And that they sell them..  :shocking:

It could be a hybrid of both WC and BW, and it can be both of them too. You never know, and that is so sad.
I think that you should never cross any Pionus at all, not even as a pet in your own home, one day you can die and then the bird are getting another home, e.t.c..

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
Perhaps a subspecies not a hybrid. One type is dull lue with peach throat, though the throat on this bird is white

http://users.telenet.be/andre.bastiaens/EngPionusMenstruus.html

someone  on one of the facebook Pionus groups I am in posted a picture of her 3 yr old blue head but she has a yellowish colored beak, not black like I have typically seen. She said that the breeder told her that both the parents also have light beaks. So you think it is possible they are hybrids? Maybe with a bronze wing. Here is a picture