Author Topic: Thanks for adding me  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
Thanks for adding me
« on: February 16, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
Thank you for adding me to this group. I don't have my pionus yet. Eagerly anticipating his arrival and picking him up in early summer.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Thanks for adding me
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:09:32 AM »
Welcome! Great to learn as much as you can before you commit.....hope you enjoy the forum. I have 2 pionus.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:58:13 AM »
Thank you. What pi's do you have? I'm on a list for a maxi.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
I have a 9 year old Maxi/coral bill male and a 2 year old white cap male. Both talk and are active but are very different.I really enjoy them.

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:03:45 AM »
How do they differ?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
One speaks more crisply but honkes loudly like a lion seal....older pi. Younger pi is pretty spunky....hangs upside down a lot. Younger one doesnt scream...and would not have volume to  scream. One steps up easily because I have had him since 4 months. The other does not consistently (he was 8 years old when adopted and settling into change has been tough for him).

They are individuals

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:31:36 AM »
LOL!! They all come with their individual personalities. Had a nanday conure years ago that I taught to say "Shh Shh be good." Instead of calling in his ear piercing shrieking voice. So I'm hopeful the new arrival will learn words or phrases to call with more than calling with parrot voice. Time shows all and we learn to adapt, filter triggers, modify and enjoy the parrot for just being him/herself. :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
Yes my baby calls with words. Hello, good boy good boy. My older one does too at times as I reward him for speaking but  at times he simply is a screamer....honestly it was a shock post adoption but one rolls with it and takes a bird as is....more joy from them than anything else

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »
Welcome! That's exciting to anticipate getting a new bird. If you've had a Nanday before, you shouldn't have a problem with a Pi  :)

I have a few birds, among them is Raven 5 1/2 month old male Bronze Winged Pi.

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »
Bronze wings are gorgeous. Thanks for the welcome!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »
Hi, My Maxi Nerd bird was wild caught and never uttered a word but his Pionus vocabulary was stellar and he had all kinds of calls and noises he used and we understood each other fine.
Lurch has many phrases and words he knows, does similar noises to what Nerd did, but not quite the same, as I don't think he had a flock to teach him.
He uses words in context sometimes and he just likes the way some phrases and words sound so he practices them when he thinks he's alone. I didn't care about Lurch talking after having Nerd for 31 years I was fine with what I got, it is just a nice bonus and no matter what your bird will be a friend for life with some time I'm sure.
Lurch can sometimes say things pretty clearly but mostly sounds like a drunk pirate. :biglaughing:
Village Idiot

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 04:00:20 AM »
Wow 31 yrs old. That is wonderful. Yes you never know who will say what with parrots. Sometimes I think that part of their charm, the unexpected. :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 06:52:45 AM »
So are you getting your cage and everything ready?

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »
Actually I'm going to pick one up all in one trip when he's ready. Foods I will buy ahead of time. Right now I'm looking at air cleaner and preparing the area where his cage will stand. I don't think he will be available for about 4 months. I found an aviary about 2 hrs from me as I didn't want to ship if I didn't have to. Plus I want to see him before bringing home.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »
You will love a Maxi, I have one and he is a riot.