Author Topic: Thanks for adding me  (Read 6951 times)

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
Re: Thanks for adding me
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 06:42:59 AM »
Could you tell me about your boy? Include his photo too.
:)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »
I always get an error message saying my files are too big, but I am only posting one pic???? Sorry.

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »
Maybe go into photo program and make it smaller. Then try it. On my iPhone it gives option for what size. Of it's a photo of your maxi I will look forward to seeing the picture. :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 02:51:19 AM »
Momazon - try picresize.com. try 75% smaller or try custom with 700 or less pixels
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »
Maxsmom, I'm glad you listed that for momazon, I am always just guessing and sometimes it works the first time and sometimes it doesn't. I also use a similar ap with my iPad or phone.

Offline stellaselby

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 06:21:32 PM »
A little over a year ago, I inherited a collection of Pionus breeding birds from a friend of mine who passed away, Bob Queen.  He was a well known Pionus breeder in the San Antonio, Texas area.  I have been letting them settle down, but now I am ready for them to get started.  Until I got the Pionus, I was mostly a Poicephalus & African Grey enthusiast. A few of the Pionus were lost during the transition period & I had no idea it was going to be such a problem finding mates to make complete pairs.  I hope to learn much by joining this group. 

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »
Welcome :)

I'm sorry to hear of your friend Bob's passing. I know he was a well known name in Pionus.
You're intending to carry on the breeding with this stock? What kind of Pi's? He had Coral Billed right? Jan, the site owner used to breed Pionus including CB's. She'd have tons of information for you.

I also love Poicephalus. I've had Robin my beloved male Red Bellied for near 20 years.

Offline stellaselby

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
There was one Coral Billed only that his wife shipped to someone who is very involved in the conservation of Coral Billed Pionus. 

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »
I had several wonderful conversations with Bob Queen several years ago when looking for a pi. He was a wonderful man, and I know his birds are and were, highly regarded. Glad you are here, Stella!

Offline stellaselby

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:50 AM »
Thank you!  I've spent the past year settling in with them & expecting nothing more from them than for them to get comfortable with their new surroundings.  They were able to keep their original cages & nestboxes, live in a country atmosphere, etc. but still I know it wasn't the same.  Now, I'm ready.  If anyone has any breeding suggestions, please let me know.  I was a Poicephalus breeder for years (Senegal, Red-Bellied, Meyer's...)  & my first question would be with breeding.  Are Pionus Spring breeders?  My Poi's always started thinking about breeding around Thanksgiving & ended when the weather started getting hot.  I live in Texas.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »
Russ Shade speaks highly of Bob Queen and had told me of his passing, I was trying to track down any history on my blue head boy and Russ said that Bob Queen was the one who might have had info. What species do you have? I would love to get s Dusky boy eventually, right now I have a blue head and a bronze wing

Offline stellaselby

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
I'm looking for a Dusky male right now for my absolutely BEAUTIFUL Queen's Pride female.  I hear they're not easy to breed, however. 

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »
Hello Stella,

Hi!!  Nice to have you here!!   :hello1:  This is Jan, I am owner of this forum and of course pionusparrot.com  I use to breed the 6 species of Pionus but then I was faced with bad breathing problems so my last year of breeding was in 2009.  I am here in California.

I met Bob and Ginny Queen in 2006 when I traded him 2 of my female Coral Bills for 2 of his females + I bought one female.  It is unfortunate that Bog died as he had a lot of knowledge but so did his wife, Ginny. When we drove to Texas to get the CB's, we stayed the night at their house and went to dinner with them and had a wonderful time with them, I am glad I got to met them after knowing him and her on the web for so long!!  I think Ginny sold mostly all their birds and moved out of the state of Texas to another state to be with or near one of their grown children(s). 

I sold my total Coral Bill collection which was 5 pairs total I had to someone else who then turned around and sold them all to someone else but one pair she kept.

I do not have any more remaining pairs of Pionus at all.  I do hold one female Coral Bill who is Gabby.  A guy who had bought some of the CB babies when I had them was going to buy Gabby but he never got situated to take her on. Truthfully I was planning on keeping her and she is somewhat pet quality with me, she gets on my and all still and is out in my aviary.  I'm probably going to be willing to sell her to a person who is going to breed CB's ... other than that I will hang onto her.

So what pairs of Pionus of the Queen's birds did you end up getting?  What state are you located in?

Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline stellaselby

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »
Bob was a great man.  I got to know him & his wife Ginny because I live in the San Antonio, Texas area & am very involved (& was President of) the bird club here.  They would sometimes attend our meetings.  I spent most of my "bird life" breeding Poicephalus (Meyers, Senegals, etc.) and African Greys.

One day in 2012 Ginny called & talked to me about Bob's health concerns & their Pionus. She asked Bob if he would like me to have his birds.  He nodded "yes."  That's when my life changed.
"
 I have a few pairs of Blue-Headed & Maximillions, one female White-Capped & one female Dusky.  The males for the White-Capped & Dusky didn't make the transition, as well as a couple of the other singles.  I started to think I was a complete failure. Then everything leveled out.

I need to pair up a Blue-headed male & female that I have as well as a Maximillian male & female.  Can I expect aggression?  I have an especially beautiful Dusky female.  She's 22 years old.  Is she too old to try to find a male for?

Ginny shipped the one Coral Bill that she had to someone.  I don't know who.  She now lives in Virginia where her son & his family lives.  I want to thank everyone in this group for reaching out to me.  I need all the help I can get.  I can certainly see your fascination with Pionus Parrots.

Offline Kisbykjs

• Egg
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »
Thank you for the welcomes. It's been a good while but I'm finally getting back.  ^-^