Author Topic: photo resizing  (Read 7522 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
photo resizing
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
How do I resize a photo? Thanks
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: photo resizing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
Well ... do you have a program on your PC like photoshop or something similar to that?  you can size photo images down that way.  There are online photo sizing sites but I think it really requires you to upload your image to their site then it probably sends it back to you through email or the browser and then save it.

We had one listed on the previous Pionus forum but now for the life of me I am not sure what it was called - it was one where you download the small program to your PC then you can use it that way, which I prefer to do it that way.  I generally use Photoshop and also I think the Microsoft Windows Image Viewer which are usually on most PC, have an area in that I to resize ... I think.  I'll investigate some more and come up with something simple that you can use, see if I can find that one I was talking about that I like.

Well, I looked around and can not find that one I used and was listed on the other forum but this one  http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ you can download to your PC to use.  It's had a lot of downloads so it must be popular.  It shows a few screenshots of how it would look like when using. I'll download it too and try it out as well.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Jan

• Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »

Okay!  I downloaded that one I gave the link to in my above post, it took less than a 1 minute to download onto my PC.  I thought it would put an icon on the desk top but it didn't but like it shows in their screenshot ... just go to a picture on your PC like in Internet Explorer and then right click on the image you want to resize then in the dropdown it will have "Reize Pictures"  Then it a few seconds it will take you to a menu where you can select the image size ... you may want to do custom pixel size if it needs to be smaller than the option sizes they give you.  I know this can be helpful for me because often I do not want to open up Photoshop just to resize unless I am going to put text on top of the image.

So hope this helps.
Jan

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 03:49:50 AM »
Thanks. Having difficulty getting photos downloaded from phone to computer so will work on that. Once that is accomplished I will try program you suggest so I can get Charlie's photo posted.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
Sounds like Jan's solution is great, I use IRfanveiw here myself and it is also a free photo viewer  program that also has a lot of extra functions, one of them being re-size photos. I have used it for years since I discovered it looking for a good free photo viewer for my PC.
When it opens a photo for you up top there are all kinds of functions you can pick and one of them is re size and it also lets you do standard sizes, custom sizes, and even control the amount of compression when you save to JPEG format so you can get a bigger but slightly less sharp pic if you want rather then a tiny and hard to see but sharp pic, plus it will sharpen and all kinds of things too if you poke around the options.
Here's the page for it http://www.irfanview.com/ It also plays almost any video too :) I'd check this and Jan's and see which one you like best, they both are pretty small programs so keep the one that works for you.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »
Finally figured it out this morning. I ran the program on my phone since I still cant transfer my photos to my computer for some reason. Will check out the site you suggest. Thanks

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:50:10 PM »
Julie -

Try resizing at picresize.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »
Yes! That IS the program I found yesterday. It was very simple. The prob I'm having now, is how to get pics out of my email and onto this forum. When I open my email and go to the pics, there is no right click option to copy/paste. Weird. Maybe it has to do with the programs on that particular computer I was using? I can go somewhere else and try. UGH. I miss having computer access at home, I'm living in the dark ages at the moment.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 02:23:35 AM »
I pretty much use my smartphone. I click on Attachment and other options under box where one types message. I then click on Attachment (Browse) and options of where to browse come. Not sure I get the copy and paste function issue as I choose to upload a photo in a library on smartphone. Sorry not more help. Jan may come to rescue

Offline Jan

• Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »

Well, usually in your email you would save the image(s) to your computer  first ... on cell phones I'm not sure as I usually just email myself the photos I want off my phone to my email so I can get them in my email then save them to my desk top PC then size them if needed then upload to the forum.  From my cell phone, I only email my own photos to myself if I have a few I want but if I had a heap of them then I'd have to download them all from my phone by using the cable.
Jan

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »
I think Julie is trying to post photos from her computer. Thanks

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »
Yes... I was going to my email on computer, I don't remember exactly what happened but I don't think I was able to save it to that computer. I'll have to try from a different computer ugh.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »
I email pictures to my computer then download them, then when I click on them I use the option at the top to open using Microsoft Office. Then I can resize and edit the picture and resave the edited version