Author Topic: Learning new things  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Learning new things
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
Hi maxsmom, thanks for thinking about Raven :) We have been SO busy lately dealing with my aging dad and related issues. We're at his house 30 miles away every day. Poor birdies, we haven't been home enough in my opinion, but it won't stay this way forever.

I've had a chance to see little bits and pieces of Barbara's methods and the theory behind it. I've been giving Raven a choice to step up. Of course only in a real emergency I'll grab him, but otherwise I leave him be if he's not in the mood (which is often, especially later in the day). I'm definitely going to look further into these techniques, and base all of my future training on this method since enough people swear it works.

I've been thinking back, and I realize that when I got Robin 19 years ago, Barbara's techniques were NOT widely popular the way they are today. In fact, it was widely accepted to use more assertive training methods. I've even heard time and time again, (in larger beaked birds) pushing in on the lower mandible if a bird bites too hard causing it discomfort!
Have you heard Sally Blanchard's widely popular for decades "nurturing dominance"? While Sally doesn't advocate ever hurting a bird or causing it discomfort, the methods are a little different than Barbara Heidenreich's, and the approach is more what I'm familiar with. This and other various methods was the info that I was fed over the years, as were many of us.
I'm ready to use a fresh new approach now!  :icon_mrgreen:
Thanks again, I'll post updates.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
Sorry about your dad :bighug: 

Get that the theory of owning birds has changed for you. I was in shock 1 1/2 years ago when I realized while I had been a doting owner of my tiels for 17 years  but I was clueless about owning a  bird today. Clueless.

No judgment....you should raise Raven as you feel comfortable  :bighug:
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »
Thanks about my dad... Things will be okay  :)

But I think I do want to try new things. I don't feel that you're pushing anything on me, don't worry I don't take it that way :) I may end up mixing some things I've learned in the past with keeping in mind to give Raven more respect. It's time to shed old ways, why not? ...and find other methods that are proven to yield good results. So far, he seems to be responding well.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:30 PM »
Good luck with your dad.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
Thanks  :)