Author Topic: New Pi, I'm not understanding a behavior  (Read 1817 times)

Offline WaywardFlock

• Egg
New Pi, I'm not understanding a behavior
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
Sorry, she doesn't make the noise for very long, but it's all I could catch on video.
But I am hoping you can help me understand a behavior she does. She seems unhappy to me when she does it.
She is 10 years old, I just adopted her from a rescue, she was a plucker in her last home so I know she has anxiety issues. I am not sure what sets this off though or what it means or how to help her. Any input is greatly appreciated.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lynzykoala48/media/IMG_4695_zps281e8a99.mp4.html

Offline WaywardFlock

• Egg
Re: New Pi, I'm not understanding a behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
I think she's trying to talk. They tend to make gibberish talking noises and I like to call it their pirate gibberish as they sound like a drunken pirate to me. Lurch does it, sometimes he's just talking happily to himself and sometimes he's mad and cussing me out. She looks pretty  calm in the second video video so I bet she's practicing and entertaining herself.  :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »
She is a lovely looking bird, congratulations!  They are great companions.

Yes, she sounds like she is mumbling, but she is also flipping her wings and doing a little noise that is called honking.  It is a mating sound. I had a rehomed pi that honked, wing flipped and tore up everything to make a nest.  After changing to a low protein diet (tons more veg and fruit, fewer pellets and seeds) and putting her outside in a large, shaded cage every day with lots of garden greens to tear up, she stopped.  It took about a year and a half, but she did stop.  We never touched her back or wings.  The vet said she was in hyper breeding mode.

If your bird is just making the noise a little and not tearing things up or laying eggs, she is probably not like ours was.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:22:57 PM »
Congrats on your new Pi! :icon_mrgreen: You found a really beautiful White Cap! I haven't had experience with a mature female. It does sound like talking. I was trying to figure out what she was saying. Maybe in time you'll find out. Best wishes with your new baby  :)

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »
I agree with Momazon about the mating behavior and sound. So be careful.

Offline bluebird

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »
My Bluebird makes that sound often and does the same actions it is a in heat thing .Just be careful with handling her when she is like that as they tend to be a little testy lol . I have recently adopted a male PI  Ricky and now the pair are on their first egg  and every time she starts that noise he is there to take care of business lol

Congrats on your adaption they amake wonderful additions to any family
smiles are free give generously always free