Author Topic: Raven NEVER screams...  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Raven NEVER screams...
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »
I'm curious to know how others' Pionus were (if you knew your Pi as a juvenile). I used to have a female Bronze Winged, and she lived until she was 13 months old. She was never noisy, but every now and then (occasionally) she'd let out a good yell even when she was very young. She also did not talk.

Raven on the other hand, does talk a bit. He says hi, hello, good boy, and babbles unintelligible gibberish as if he's pretending to talk. Still, I find it very odd that he NEVER yells (unless we accidentally touch him how he doesn't want, for example to get him off a shoulder and we reach up and accidentally touch his wing, etc). SO because he is not absolutely silent, I'm not worried that it's anything medical, and I shouldn't be complaining that I have a quiet parrot, I just think it's strange that he NEVER EVER calls, screams, yells. There have been enough days one of us is home all day with him to know. I'm curious if he'll start using 'bird vocalizations' more when he's an adult? 

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Raven NEVER screams...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:12:40 AM »
Nerd and his brother Ferd were thought to be around 2 when I got them, Ferd passed away after a very fast illness or something but Nerd soldiered on. He had a very LOUD flock call he'd let out, kinda like BAWEEEEP!  and he and Ferd could get squawking together pretty loudly when they didn't like my music or something.
He made a few loud whistles then mostly the contented and general chirps and chortles and erks they do.
Lurch was about 4 or so when he got here and has a similar flock call but he never learned the wild version so his is more of a semi loud WOOO! so far and he has the loud HONK! over and over when he gets excited or wants attention and his version of happy chirps and erks and things.
Never had a little one, But JT has had Eloy since he was very young and though he's way bigger he makes the same noises any other Maxi would make so maybe she'll see this and have some info. And of course Jan raised them for years so a few folks here should have direct first hand knowledge :)
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »
Dob only does two loud noises, one is a "Kak-kak-kak" usually when he is in a cage and wants out, mostly late afternoon when he wants to come in from outside, or is yelling at squirrels outside, or when he wants out to fly around the house.  The other is a scream, and I have only heard it once, when a cat jumped on his outside cage.  It was when we first moved here, last summer, before I had the back porch netted over the cages.  It sounded kind of like a monkey scream, or some panicked animal, and in fact it was.  My daughter and I made it outside in three leaps, and the cat never has been back.  After that, we netted the back area.  The outside cages sit under the upper deck, so we stapled and staked it into the ground.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »
Lurch does that KACK KACK KACK thing too. Sounds like he's beating a stick when he does it, don't remember Nerd doing it.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
Sounds like a great talker at a young age
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:33:14 PM »
I was really surprised when he picked up hi, hello, and good boy literally right away. That was a few weeks ago, and nothing since. That's okay if he doesn't become a good talker, but it would be fun to see what else he learns. It could be my imagination, but I 'think' I've heard both Raven and Robin say each other's names. There's a little jealousy, but no one's acting out. I do find it funny though when Raven doesn't want to step up and come over, UNTIL he sees me loving on Robin, THEN Raven changes his mind!