Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
What am I doing wrong?
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:24:06 PM »
I am a new Pionus owner. I just bought my bird 3 weeks ago but he is about a year old.
I work 40 hours a week so he spends the majority of his week days in his cage until I get home. But when I finally come home and am eager to play, he seems tired or uninterested in me. Even his favorite treats can't convince him to come out. When I am successful at getting him out, it usually takes 30 minutes to get coax him out. What am I doing wrong? :(

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
Welcome. What time are you coaxing him out? They like to go to bed early - like 8 pm. Hard to coax out after that to Mr. How big is cage?Is he interested in toys, chewing, shredding, foraging? Do you know what treats he likes?.  It takse pi a while to get used to a new home. Open cage door sit in room reading out loud or singing. Let him observe you. Interest will grow. What were circumstances prior to coming to you?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:21:13 PM »
I usually try right after I get home, around 6pm. I want to  start getting him out in the mornings, but I was trying to wait until he came out of cage the  easier since I am more pressde for time. The cage is about 18x18x36. He is just starting to be interested in toys by not enough for them to be a real incentive for him to come out. He likes bells, knots, keychains, buttons, and tearing up popsicle sticks. He likes peanuts and is CRAZY about sugar snap peas but he pretends to not be interested if the trade off is coming out of the cage.
He came from a breeder, and while i think he was hand fed and treated well (he is very tame for being so new), I don't think he was interacted with much. Thanks for the tips!!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »
I noticed that Raven is more eager to come out in the mornings too. With my schedule at this time, I get home later than you, so it is not surprising that Raven has already settled in for the night, and he MIGHT want to come out then for a little while but usually not. Like I've heard several others say, Pionus like to turn in early. Raven is an early to bed guy too. I understand being more pressed for time in the mornings, but even a little quality time is better than nothing. Then of course you can spend your off time making it up :)

The cage is a bit small for a Pionus, but I see that he is accustomed to it as his comfort zone. Because of that might not mind it, but if you consider giving him a bigger cage, you not only give him more room to explore should he want to, but you'll find you have more room for toys and foraging items!

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:59:34 AM »
I have tried this morning and, while he still wouldn't come out, he was at least acting more interested in coming out. He was very vocal and climbing around acting excited. I may start trying to get up early, I just hate to leave him in his cage all day, only to come home and have him still in his cage for the whole evening. I just purchased the cage I currently have so I am not thrilled about getting a new one, but its something I will definitely look into. What size would be best?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:02:13 AM »
Let him come out in his own time. He will. Just let him get comfortable.

In the meantime unfortunately his cage is too small. 32 x 23 is recommended size. especially if he is in cage a lot you want to get him in bigger space. Peanuts are not good foods for pionus as they are highly susceptible to asper.

Check out this forum. There are links on diet, housing etc. It may be useful.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:18 AM »
Sorry but whomever advised you about cages recommended a parakeet size.  I also have a wcp. They are one of most active types of pi and really would enjoy and use a larger cage....5/8 inch bar spacing is recommended especially for a wcp.

Clean your current cage and donate it. It will be tax deductible or sell it on Craig's list. You can recoup your expenses.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
Good advice from maxsmom.
My Red Bellied parrot came with a cage 18x18, and even a smaller bird than a Pi, I got him a bigger cage immediately. I would also pick out a 23x32 5/8 spacing for a Pi. Good luck!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »
Ditto all the above. Bigger is better for pi cages!

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 04:06:05 AM »
Thanks for all of the tips! I will look into the bigger cage sizes.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 08:04:50 AM »
We have a huge outside cage and and a ten food wire aviary that has lasted thirteen years.  Dob gets the big aviary because he needs to climb around and chew his toys.  The zon gets the macaw sized cage (bar spacing is 1") mainly because she is more sedentary.  I do agree on the bar spacing, especially for an active bird that might be caught in wide spaces.