Author Topic: Training treat suggestions  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Training treat suggestions
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:20 PM »
My problem is that Raven does not like to take food from my hand, unless it's his favorite pellets, then no problem... weird bird. I'm looking for very small pieces, as Barbara Heidenreich pointed out in a video that if you're using for positive reinforcement it needs to be small (not a whole big nut) which makes sense with their small bodies if you're giving several in a short time.

Raven so far will only set seed if they're in a nutriberry type of nugget, but will not take a single seed. Since he's not familiar with eating seeds, maybe he doesn't recognize it as something good? If I eat in front of him and show him how good it is, well, that tactic doesn't work with him. He just looks at me like I'm weird.

I'm afraid of peanuts now because of the potential molds and toxins... Especially since Raven's respiratory system is compromised I am trying to be even MORE cautious. WHAT KIND of nuts pose the LEAST amount of threat in the way of mold and toxins? I've given Robin almonds for years. The raw kind in a bag that we humans enjoy too.

Any tips and tricks to get him to try little morsels of food?  :-\

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Training treat suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:00:53 PM »
Sometimes with Lurch we just eat it or pretend to eat it and then he wants it too. Other times if he's stubborn we tease him with a big enough peice so he gets mad and bites it. Usually all of a sudden you see him thinking about how tasty the evil thing he just bit is then he calms down and asks for more.
They do tend to be afraid of big food and non trusting of new things so you have to work at it.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:23:46 AM »
Try putting several small pieces of trws ts in front of him....a little scrambled egg, blue berry, pomegranate,  bird bread, cheerio etc....see what motivates him....also I put it on my flat hand not pinched between my fingers....that made a difference for me.

I offered almond, walnut, cashew, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, pistachio at first....in reading some of materials in links I posted here I now am not sure if there is a safe nut for birds prone to asper.   So try other things

Keep trying
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:09:53 AM »
Thanks, will have to just try a variety of stuff and see what it is he actually likes. There has got to be SOMETHING out there. I'll try the flat hand. That's how he ate when I first got him home.

It would be SO much easier to train Raven if he took food treats. The praise, time out of cage, and 'good boy!' only goes so far with him I think. Those things aren't reinforcing ENOUGH to this particular bird. Raven also doesn't like cuddles, so I NEED to find what food(s) he loves. I think that would be the only thing to really positively reinforce a bird like this. Thoughts?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
Charlie likes scritches for reinforcement...each bird is different.  Try everything with Raven.  Believe me I was stumped with Charlie for months...I couldn't get him to take a treat for the life of me....it takes time.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »
Lurch has his favorites, Nerd had his too. Nerd wouldn't touch some food for years but after watching us happily eat it he'd suddenly decide to try some. That's how he tried spaghetti one day. He flew over the pot then wanted some, after
that he always got excited when he saw us making it. Lurch also really likes it, and buttered toast.
Lurch will DEMAND scratches and push my hand and fingers so scratches in the favorite spots are a good one.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:42:04 PM »
I am doing you no favors when I say that ONE MOLECULE of sharp cheddar cheese gets me whatever I want, from toenail filing to vet checks.  Since my zon first climbed down my arm to steal some from my salad, we have never been able to open a cheese wrapper without a mutiny on our ship. On the other hand, it is a very effective reward.  She, too, was one that did not respond to food rewards. Now you know.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »
Really? Wow :shocking: who knew... I don't usually have cheese in the house, but when I do, it's the shredded kind. Maybe I'll have to try a minuscule piece next time I have it? That's interesting that your zon is so crazy over it!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »
Nerd loved cheddar cheese, so does Lurch so that is a very good one too like mentioned. Lurch will steal the thin cheese strips from our usual Monday Taco Bell feast at dinner time and also loves anything on the burritos, and their crunchy corn chips too. It used to work for bed time for me as I could put a nice chunk of cheddar on his food dish and he'd run in to eat it but now he's gotten wise to that trick :biglaughing:
By the way originally burritos frightened Lurch but after he attacked mine a few times he decided they were delicious and now he gets excited when he see's the Taco bell bags come in and eats them very nicely with me.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »
Nerd and Lurch too?! I had no idea so many were crazy for cheese  :shocking: I try to give my boys healthy things, and I know too much cheese isn't good, but it looks like a small amount now and then won't hurt anything.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »
Once they have it, it is like a wolf tasting blood.  You will never again rattle a cheese wrapper without being harassed!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 04:04:02 PM »
Once they have it, it is like a wolf tasting blood.  You will never again rattle a cheese wrapper without being harassed!
Oh... Now you're scaring me momazon! I'm picturing crazed blood thirsty birds  :shocking:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »
Yup, they love it like I love chocolate!

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »
Chante is the same with seeds - wont touch them. He loves almonds in the shell so I thought I would try slivered almond pieces for reinforcement. So of course he will not touch a slivered almond piece.

Offline bluebird

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
Both of my pionus Bluebird and Ricky love pieces of carrot . Ricky will take a peanut, carrot just about anything from my hand , Bluebird loves the scritches but her all time favorite snack is ginger snaps she will do tricks for one aka dance, flip upside down and then tell you its time to give it up.corn nibblets are a good training tool for me
smiles are free give generously always free