Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1553 times)

Offline emily

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Hello!
« on: June 07, 2014, 06:56:38 PM »
Hi! I am Emily and I'm a sophomore in college. I have loved birds forever. We had two when I was much younger- a nanday conure and a powder blue Indian ringneck (max & bandit)- but we had to get rid of them while i was still pretty young so i dont remember them much. I begged for a bird for years and finally my mom agreed!

Three years ago (ish) I got Oliver, my white capped pionus. ( he was never blood tested so we just assume he's a boy. I'd feel pretty bad at this point though to find out he's actually a she though!) He is super friendly and adorable, fortunately for me seeing as it's my first real bird experience. I was assured pionus were super friendly and playful and he is true to that.

He's super strange too. he clucks like a chicken all the time, and at the same time shakes his wings close to his body. I don't even know how to react but I called a vet one of the first times because i thought maybe it was some sort of strange bird seizure. i was assured my bird is just weird.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
Howdy, I think the wing thing is a form of begging for attention or treats. Nerd did it when he saw a treat he really liked
and Lurch does it too so probably not something that weird for them.
Nerd always clucked and we always called him a chicken, and he had lots of unique wild Pionus noises because he was wild caught were pretty sure as I got him in 78.
Lurch makes similar noises but more generic noises and ones he learned from other birds. Nerd is no longer with us and made it till just before Xmas 09 Then family got me Lurch.
Be prepared for a long career together and they tend to be gentle birds but Lurch certainly gets pissy and grumpy so we have to read his mood to avoid bites. I think they are like feathered cats :wink1:
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 11:29:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum Emily :)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 01:41:34 AM »
Hi Emily, and welcome!  Dartman is right, it could be wanting attention, but  I had a female who did something similar but more hyper and frantic, when she was nesting. Not sure if your bird's behavior is the same as mine, but if you are able to post a video, members could see exactly what it is.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:51:04 AM »
Welcome  :hello1:
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto