Author Topic: Avian Lamps  (Read 1917 times)

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
Avian Lamps
« on: March 28, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »
Hello everyone! As an update from my last post, I have started waking up extra early in the mornings before work to spend some quality time with Loki (my pionus) and it has done wonders! The first few times i had to (gently) force him out, but now he comes out totally willingly and even "asks" to come out. I can't believe the instant difference.

I have just purchased an Avian Sun Floor Lamp and was wondering, does anyone have experience using these? I am not sure when I should use it and for how long. Please share tips/experiences with this product. Thanks!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Avian Lamps
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:40 PM »
From my understanding by reading my other forum, asking my avian vet, and reading about full spectrum bulbs, I know there are mixed feelings out there. It is said that the "full" spectrum wears out somewhat quickly, and there's no way of knowing when you don't have an adequate spectrum left. At that point, you're just wasting electricity. Also they say the bulbs (fixture) has to really be pretty close (as on a fish tank) to give proper benefit anyway.

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »
Hmmm. Thats interesting to know. My bird isnt in complete darkness, but I worry about him getting enough light. My apartment layout doesnt allow for him to be near the window, but he's probably only 20ft ftom it. Still, I thought it would be nice to have during the cold winter months. I'm more concerned about over doing it though, how do I know if he's getting enough light?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
I have full spectrum bulbs but also note that pionus do not have preening glands.  I understand that birds with preening glands have an oil that gets activated with full spectrum lighting to ensure they get vitamin D. I use bulb as my room is dark and I am not sure using full spectrum vs a regular bulb causes harm even though no preening gland. But full spectrum is probably more beneficial to birds with preening gland.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto