Author Topic: traveling with my Pionus  (Read 2334 times)

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
traveling with my Pionus
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am planning on traveling to my hometown for Easter weekend. It is a 7hr drive each way. I plan to leave on wednesday morning and return sunday evening. My question is, will it be more stressful to take Loki (my white capped Pionus) with me on this short trip, or just leave him alone (with extra food and water). I am new to the state i currently live in, so a "bird sitter" isnt an option for me but i might be able to find someone to look in on him once a day. Please let me know your thoughts. 

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
Re: traveling with my Pionus
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:46:35 PM »
Sorry I made a typo. I am leaving Thursday morning and returning Sunday.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »
How does he ride in the car? If he likes it, I would take him and make sure to talk to him and not put the radio too loud. Then again, I would take mine everywhere if I could. Am trying to think of what might help to know.

Our birds drove 1100 miles to our new home this summer.  The amazon was on my shoulder loving it, the pi's were in small cages stacked in the front seat, and the senegal was in the back seat.  Except for wanting out to fly, the pi's were great.  They got out at night in the motel (curtains drawn and perch on table) and flew around.  The senegal had to stay in her travel cage due to her aggressive nature around other birds, but they all seemed to love going together.  It was a three day trip for us for other reasons, but it went well.  We took a cooler of snap peas, carrots, and fruit, along with extra clean dishes and a roll of paper towels. We took beach towels to cover the cages at night, but did not have to worry about a heat lamp because it was summer. All our travel cages are about 18" tall or more, and were slightly larger than the seat of my car, so they really had roomy travel arrangements. Whenever we left them in a room, we told them we would come back, since that is something we tell them. Seems to make a big difference.

That's about all I can tell you about our long trip.  Keep us posted and let us know what you decide!

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 01:17:10 AM »
A weekend on their own is not an option. So yes you should take him with you. It will be fine.

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 03:23:48 AM »
Thank you so much Momazon! I appreciate the tips. Loki and I live alone, so he isnt used to being around other people (and other birds) yet and my parents house has both. However they have a spare cage that is the same size as his cage at home that he could be in so it wont be too much of a change. He does okay during drives, usually just sitting quietly and staring at me from the back seat. My biggest concern is that being in a new, more noisy environment with 2 birds and 3 other people will stress him out too much... What are your thoughts? (He came from a breeder with lots of other birds, but as of now, he is my only one)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 05:22:56 AM »
Agree a weekend alone with no sitter is not an option. If not taking it with you a vet may board birds as an option or look for a bird sitter in CL or on internet. Travelling by car should be fine but bring something to cover just in case of fright. I would use a bird travel cage rather than a cat carrier for such a long trip. Hopefully your bird will enjoy being in the car and looking around.  In terms of being in a home with birds - have your pi and the other birds been tested for diseases recently?   All birds must be tested and cleared prior to the visit.  If your family has a similar sized cage that would be great if clean with avian disinfectant including toys and perches.  Keeping your wcp in your room may make it feel safe though if it is shy.

I have taken my wcp on day trips and overnight.  He liked car but new surroundings were scary so I attended to him a lot. There was a lot of wheezing. There were children around so I had to watch him as the kids do not know how they scare birds.  He was very young and I had just gotten him so perhaps it would be different now.....Charlie (my maxi/CB ) would be with us now for trips.

Thoughts to consider.....
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
When my daughter used to go to my mom's to spend a few days, she took Dob in his cockatiel size cage.  He would fly around and taunt the dog so much they sometimes put him in the bathtub in his cage with the door shut just to get some quiet time! Would you feel okay taking him on short drives and looking at outside birds? Maybe a visit to friends' houses and home again?

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
He loves looking out the window at the outside birds, as long as I'm with him. Since I'm new to the area, I dont have any friends yet. But I would love to take him on little trips!

I think I will take him and see how he does. Hopefully i can keep his stores level at a minimum by slowly introducing him to my family. The travel cage I have is small enough to  carry, but he still has plenty of room to move. Both of the birds at my parents house are disease free! Thanks again for all of the tips. I was feeling very torn about the decision so this has made it much easier

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
As long as we paid attention, ours never freaked out. We just cut noise and chaos, and they calmed down.  Here's wishing you luck!

Offline OhHeySarahBee

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! I am looking forward to our first journey!