Author Topic: Raven is branching out to accept new experiences  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Raven is branching out to accept new experiences
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
Slowly, Raven is learning to come out of his shell. He's SO comfortable in his cage, which is great, but I'm trying to give him a few more experiences, so that he won't start to think that life revolves only in his cage  :-\ 

I've been finding more creative ways to give him positive reinforcement so that he will actually look forward to coming out. He's still slow at taking most food treats, but positive experiences like getting to play with his favorite toys which are on the playstand, or getting his much wanted veggie dish in the morning at the breakfast table with me, or only getting his favorite Scenic Pellets when he hangs out with me are his motivators. All reasons he WANTS to come out. He still acts like a crotchety old man, and many times he just isn't interested in coming out at all. MOST OF THE TIME he takes up to 30(?) seconds "debating" whether or not to step up and come out, but this is a start in the right direction I think. Little by little.  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Raven is branching out to accept new experiences
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:31:06 AM »
  :yes: :cheerleader: :wefly: :banana: :yes:

This patient work with Raven will pay off in dividends
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »
Lurch was scared to death when he first got here and mad at the world so he took a long time to come around too but he's mostly good now and will run right out the minute we open his door. He wont step up from the door and I'm not going to make him but now he will step up to my arm if he knows I'm helping him go somewhere he wants to be.
Still can't grab him and put him in his house but I can play with his toys till he runs down to defend them then usher him in kicking and screaming with a hat or pillow he can attack as he gets worked to the door. Now he loves to hang out with me, get scritches, treats, and put a leg away and snooze. And all in a mere 5 short years so take the long term and you'll get there and he'll think it was his idea all along and you'll have a loyal friend for the rest of his life.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »
Congratulations and keep up your good work!

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
Adam I can always pick up or get to step up on a perch to get him back in his cage. Chante needs to get lured in with an almond or a treat but now he has gotten wise to that so I have to put the treat in his cage and go arounbd the corner into the kitchen so he cant see me, then he will go in,

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
Adam I can always pick up or get to step up on a perch to get him back in his cage. Chante needs to get lured in with an almond or a treat but now he has gotten wise to that so I have to put the treat in his cage and go arounbd the corner into the kitchen so he cant see me, then he will go in,
Hmm. I see a pattern here with those brothers... Must be in the genes  :icon_mrgreen: Stubborn! Except Raven needs to learn to come OUT not in lol.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:39:05 PM »
Thanks everyone  :) We're trying. I wish I could take him outside too, but I don't trust this apartment community. We're moving in with my elderly dad into his house this year, and that is a better neighborhood. Not that we live in a terrible place, it's just that I don't trust everyone and anyone around the apartments.

Ideally, I'd like to expose him to as many new experiences as possible NOW while he is still very young. I wish he wore a harness, but with the way he is about being touched, he might never be inclined to it. I haven't even tried though since we're focusing on more important things first.

Raven isn't scared of us in the least bit, it's just that he doesn't yet see me as his "bonded" friend. I'm just this person who lives with him. :( I know sometimes it takes a lot of time to form a bond with certain species, and Pionus seem like one of those species. We can take our time  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:59 PM »
Pionus definitely take their time. I do see why you would expect it to be sooner given you got him as a baby but your patience will pay off.

Max bonded with me over a weekend trip....he was in his carrier and I was playing a parrot training tape over and over for 5 hours each way....he heard the word hello so many times......anyway after the trip he decided I was ok.  Charlie is still deciding.....but he obviously has experienced trauma before meeting me

Raven will come around

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:02:37 PM »
Thanks maxsmom. It IS surprising how even as young as Raven is, he is so slow to trust and bond. Poicephalus parrots, Conures, Macaws, etc. and of course Toos, are just SO easy to bond with!

A Pi reminds me of a person who is  HIGHLY selective about who they associate with, and even more selective about who they befriend. When they do decide they want to befriend you, it seems it is only after they have taken enough time to observe you thoroughly enough that they feel they really know you, before they decide they like you enough. You know people like that? Well, that is what I think of a Pi LOL  :icon_mrgreen: It can take a very long time depending on the individual. The female BW I had before was not like this at all. She was more easy going, friendly and cuddly than typical Pionus. Guess I have a "typical" Pi guy now  :)

Thanks for the encouragement!  :smallhug:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:29:41 AM »
I think there is a world of difference between male and female pionus. Like you I opted for male as I did not want to deal with female reproductive issues. I didnt realize male pi had such different personalities than female and their own hormonal issues.  Believe me I was in shock with Max and probably ended up adopting Charlie soon after getting Max as I thought he was more sweet. After adjusting my expectations I learned to appreciate them as is. Max is velcro with me 1/3 time, playful with Charlie 1/3 and very independent 1/3. Charlie is independent 1/2 and playful with Max 1/2 and every once in a while wants to hang out with me. I had a different relationship with my previous birds but I get a lot of joy in different ways from Max and Charlie.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »
Yes, I think Pi's are like Amazons where male and female tend to have a definite difference, but I think I'd rather learn to deal with an adult male than egg issues. I'm sure it's no big deal to most people, but I'm just not familiar with it and would like to stay that way  :)

If I end up with Raven being much like Charlie is with you, then I will just love him for who he is. It will just mean I'd have more time for cuddlier birds :) I don't have any expectations with Raven yet.

How long have you had Charlie now? Does Charlie ever put his head down for you to skritch?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »
I've said they are like feathered cats. Nerd was happy just to be near me hanging out, snooze, get scratches and treats.
Lurch is similar but REALLY wants anything we're eating, and gets pissy at times. Lurch is supposed to be DNA male and pretty sure Nerd was too but no eggs for 31 years so probably was.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »
I have had Charlie 1 1/2 years. He was 8 years when I got him. I think he could have been more cuddly before whatever trauma occurred. He loves scritches. Asked for them more frequently when he wasn't hormonal. BUT even when he asks for scritches I have to be on guard and watch his body language. I have learned to never take my eyes off of him. He will jerk his head quickly and bite. This is sudden. But he scritches his own head constantly and shoves he head toward you. I am still working on trust but can live with this. When he wasn't hormonal I rarely got bit.

Dealt with Lupron and excessive egg binding with 2 female tiels and could not repeat that on any level. But I think I had extreme cases.

So I am learning male pionus behaviour. Most days Max asks for attention....not cuddly but has need to be near me.  Nonhormonal Charlie seeks my attention a lot. I have gotten a lot of joy from them.

So do not despair

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »
*Mini breakthrough* yesterday  :)

I had Raven out on a basket turned table playstand, as I typed on my iPad. I looked up and noticed he was doing that self head massage that you see parrots do sometimes... SO, I took that opportunity to approach Raven slowly and see if he'd let me take over... well, he did! I was so happy. I made myself stop and give him a treat before he got annoyed. Rarely, he will let me hold him close and touch his neck feathers for a minute. So now because of that, I'm thinking that down the road, he probably will ask for neck skritches from time to time. I hope so, but again, I'm trying not to have any big expectations, and I know it will take time with this bird. He is a "typical" Pi, and I'm happy to have him and learn to be with him  :icon_mrgreen:

maxsmom, your encouragement with this really means a lot. I know you've been through it  :)

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
Sometimes with Adam if he is unsure about me approaching to scratch his head he is fine if I first bend my head and scratch it while saying 'Adam scritches?'