Author Topic: bedtime  (Read 3773 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
bedtime
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:23:10 PM »
With the longer days are your pionus still putting themselves to bed at 8? Charlie has always been strict about bedtime.  He puts himself to bed no matter what. Lately he been on a rampage.....chew all things he can. I must closely attend to him if he is out of his cage. Lots of energy and a one track mind. I have been sick and going to bed early.....BUT Charlie has no interest in going to bed before 8, at 8 or after 8......do they just have more energy to burn with their hormones or are longer days throwing bedtime clock off?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: bedtime
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
When Lurch first got here he went to bed at 8, now that he's used to our later bed time he goes in most nights at 11, if he actually decides to go in at all :biglaughing:
Last night he went in at 8:30 so who knows sometimes. I guess he had a busy Lurch day and was all Tuckered out.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »
Raven seems like most Pi. He prefers an earlier bed time than other birds.
As far as the season goes, I can't really judge by that, since lately, life has been so crazy that we don't get home until later than we'd like, so admittedly the birds have been going to bed really late (about like Lurch hehe). Though they say 10-12, (or at least eight) is ideal, and they get about 8 now.

Sometimes in a human's world, they have to adjust. I know Robin hasn't always gotten the recommended for most of the near 20 years of his life, and he's still healthy and strong, so I'm not too worried. When life settles down I'd like to give them an earlier bedtime.

I got a little off track of your question, but even the days we're home at night, Raven does seem to want to be left alone around the same time as before... Maybe about 8pm he no longer wishes to be bothered. Actually as the day wears on he gets less and less friendly. He is definitely a social morning person. I can't relate lol.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
do they just have more energy to burn with their hormones or are longer days throwing bedtime clock off?
Eloy also have more energy at the moment.  But want to go to bed around 8 as usual.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
Usually no matter when I  get home Charlie goes to bed at 8. If I come home at 9 then he won't greet me until the next morning. Lately I am home early and going to bed due to my cold. Charlie wants no part of going to bed. I guess it is random and not associated with longer daylight.

Thanks for responses

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
Dob roosts at dusk, regardless of the artificial time change. My zon likes to go to bed after dark, and then the sennie comes out to fly around for a couple of hours.  She cannot be around any other animal without attacking, so her bedtime is later.  She seems to love it.  She begins whistling for me when the sun starts to set.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:55:33 PM »
Got home at 9:30 this evening.  Charlie jumped out to greet me and welcomed treats and food. Max who is usually up for anything if I come home past 8 simply glared. Max has insisted on 8 pm sleep this week. If Max didn't have a white cap I would think I mixed up my 2 birds :wink1:

Thanks, Momazon, for feedback. You seem to have a system to keep harmony.

Glad to hear I read too much into Charlie's change in bedtime

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
Lurch went in last night at about 8:30 again and stayed there right till I walked up to close his door, the minute he saw me coming he dashed out again and started threatening and flaring and pirate cursing at me. Then he flew to my chair and wanted attention, flew back after a few minutes, watched for anyone paying attention and went back inside.
He was pretty settled in so I hurried over and closed the door just as he started to rush it so he struck at the bars by me for good affect and birdy sweared at me some more :shocking: 5 minutes later he's all settled in and roosting again :wink1:
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »
Adam usually puts himself to bed around 8:30 to 9, once oin a while he will stay up later. Chante can be stubborn and sometimes will not go back in his cage even when all the lights are off and I have to lure him in with an almond.

Offline emily

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 07:20:02 PM »
it sounds like most of your birds tend to set their own bedtime.. my Pionus would stay up all night if i let him and really dislikes going into the cage at night. he almost seems to become more active later in the day. is this completely abnormal?

should i start putting him to bed at the same time every night? I just feel bad when i stay up late (which is often- i'm home from school right now) he can tell i'm still up and would rather be hanging around with me than trying to sleep

thanks!

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »

Hello Emily - Welcome to our forum!  Yes, Pionus or any parrot specie really should have a normal routine bed time.  Usually Pionus are good about putting themselves to bed or at least go to sleep wherever they park themselves.  8 pm or no later than 9 pm is a good bedtime.

I have a Blue & Gold Macaw that when I put her in her cage for the night, I have to cover the 2 sides of her cage that face any sort of seeing us, otherwise she is a night owl and will not go to sleep as long as I am up and about.  I cover my Blue Headed Pionus, Blu as well although I have no problem with her going to sleep on her own but I do kind of just to give her a little privacy. On her cage I just put a towel over the top and drape it down partly in the front and a little on the one side.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline emily

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
That's good to know- thanks!
I have been putting him to bed around 9 and he still tends to be pretty active for a few hours but its a new thing still. Besides, it isn't bothering anyone at all. He is always covered at night and while that keeps him from talking he still likes to play

Offline Grontardo26044

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
Thank you for sharing the bet time notice. I saw that my 2 white capped pionus are sleeping better outside the cage on their hanging toys. Indeed they are starting napping around 2100 each night.

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 01:36:31 AM »
Sierra my white capped does not care much for coming out of her cage lately which is fine with me. I don't force any of my birds to come out if they would rather hang out in their homes. I leave her door open and push her play perch to the door or sometimes I just leave the door open. She knows when she wants to come out.

That said,  her cage sits right next to my computer table. I spend most of my sit down time at my computer, so she hangs out on that side of her cage close to me on the inside. She is not a hands on bird, never has been since I got her which I respect and hold her on her terms when she is in the mood for it. On my off days (days I dont work) Sierra starts chanting Ewok go night night when her light over her cage goes off at 6 pm. Her nickname is Ewok cause her talking voice reminds me of the cute Ewoks from the old Star Wars movies. She will chant this and get really high pitched if I ignore her till I cover her cage up. Then she promptly goes to sleep. On my work nights I leave at 3:30 pm and don't get home til around 7:30 am. On those days she and the rest of my flock stay uncovered. They all know my routine is a bit crazy and they  accept it.

Sierra first learned to say, Ewok want OUT! And would say it when she wanted to go to bed. And her first word she learned was EeeWOK which if you hear us together it is long e and the wok part is about 5 octaves higher. She's a character and enjoys beating up her tennis shoe toys or strutting and flaring when she's mad at me. It's quite amusing to watch her and I hate to say it but I do laugh at her so now she has thrown a few laughs into her strutting routine. :biglaughing:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »
That is hilarious, Nakia, our Maxi used to make noises like R2D2!