Author Topic: When is he going to molt?  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
When is he going to molt?
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »
So Raven is now nearly 8 months old.
I'm just curious about when the typical first molt happens. I remember when Adrion passed at about 13 months, she was not complete with her adult feathers yet, but don't remember when she started. Raven's breeder said last month that he should be starting any time (she said that when he was about 7 months).

Not that it matters, it'll happen sooner or later anyway lol. I'm curious though, as Raven has not started even a single feather yet. Everyone else around here is molting like mad!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: When is he going to molt?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:56:13 PM »
Lurch has been dropping feathers all over lately but he's at least 9 now and I think this is about typical time for them.
I don't think any bird drops everything right away or they'd be in danger of not being able to fly to eat and protect themselves.
I'm sure  Jan would know what's typical for a young birds first molt.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:07:31 PM »
Right, it doesn't happen all at once! I'm thinking full adult color for a BW might take a couple times molting? I will just be excited when I see the first feathers drop and grow in a deeper color. Curious if his throat color pattern will change or stay the same. Again, doesn't matter, just wondering about it lately since he's getting older. Also, is it typically once or twice a year? My Red bellied is molting a lot right now, but he also does a tiny bit year round. The budgies seem to do it every few months! I do hope Jan sees this  :)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:51:26 AM »
It is so gradual I notice molting slowly, but the abundance of pinfeathers on the neck is more obvious.

We really saw a color change after beginning vitamin D and palm oil, but the palm oil ruins wildlife habitats when harvested.  I did find some in the market that claimed to be sustainable.  Anyway, their colors became very brilliant with these supplements. The first molt for a Maxi did not bring much change. 

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 02:59:12 AM »
Molting not occurring at my house now. Can't recall when season is
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:08:20 AM »
We really saw a color change after beginning vitamin D and palm oil, but the palm oil ruins wildlife habitats when harvested.  I did find some in the market that claimed to be sustainable.  Anyway, their colors became very brilliant with these supplements. The first molt for a Maxi did not bring much change.

There is also something about Harrison's organic pellets that really make a bird as vibrant as they can be for any species. Except the white Toos LOL.
The color change I'm looking forward to is from baby color to adult. I guess the first feathers should be dropping soon.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 05:14:59 AM »
Molting just began in my home yesterday :wink1:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »
I guess the baby to adult feather change happened so slowly I did not notice all at once.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
Thanks for telling that!
First they are like small little devils and then they are loosing a lot of feathers for us to clean.
Have our birds ever a "good moment"?
Sorry, of course they have.. I forget that they are sleeping 12-14 H a day, thank god for that!  :partytime2:

Have a nice weekend everyone!  :hello1:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
 :hello1:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »
Thanks for telling that!
First they are like small little devils and then they are loosing a lot of feathers for us to clean.
Have our birds ever a "good moment"?
Sorry, of course they have.. I forget that they are sleeping 12-14 H a day, thank god for that!  :partytime2:

Have a nice weekend everyone!  :hello1:
  You crack me up, Ms. Eloy-lover :wink1: