Author Topic: Dirty/dry beak?  (Read 8230 times)

Offline E

• Nestling
Dirty/dry beak?
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
I need some help. Look at this picture.

1. 12 weeks old.

2. Today. The beak seems dirty from porridge (I think) and dry too?

I Have try to clean it with coconut oil, (he don't like it at all) and the shower twice a week doesn't help enough so what to do?
He is eating lots of veggies and fruit everyday (he eats everything I give him, so lucky me!) so I don't think it's vitamin deficiency.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Dirty/dry beak?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
Humm, maybe ask vet to blood test to make sure no deficiency. Or maybe it is just Maxi beak? He sure is cute. Sorry I am not much help. Dartman! Help! :-)
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »
When Lurch first got here his beak looked like the first pic snd he was 4 or 5. Now it looks more like the second pic, especially when he's stolen some messy food.
I do have one of those cement perches in his cage though and he loves to sit on it and clean his beak so I think it has gotten a bit roughed up.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »
Humm, maybe ask vet to blood test to make sure no deficiency. Or maybe it is just Maxi beak? He sure is cute. Sorry I am not much help. Dartman! Help! :-)
Thanks! :) And Eloy said thanks too. <3

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
When Lurch first got here his beak looked like the first pic snd he was 4 or 5. Now it looks more like the second pic, especially when he's stolen some messy food.
I do have one of those cement perches in his cage though and he loves to sit on it and clean his beak so I think it has gotten a bit roughed up.
Thanks! :) Yes they are so good to steal food. (but I love to share my food with Eloy)  And Eloy loves porridge. Today he had his bath and the beak is better today but not as you see in the first picture. Can it be age?
Aha, I have a cement perch too, but he only sit on that perch for the night.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:29:02 AM »
Well he probably does clean his beak on it sometimes I'd bet so maybe that's part of it even if you don't see him do it. Nerd used to even have bits flake off but not like he ever had any issues with it and his beak was a bit rough looking too.
BUT if your concerened do take him in just to be safe, they'll probably say he's fine and it's just normal wear and tear and if not they'll do whatever he needs to fix him up.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 01:09:34 AM »
Thanks again! :)
My problem is that Maxis are so rare in Sweden (we have not even a breeder) so the Vet can nothing about this bird.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »
Well I'd say I'm about 99 percent sure there's nothing wrong then, Jan used to breed them so if she sees this post I'm sure she'll chime in too with a even more informed post about it but I think he's fine.
We had trouble finding a vet that does birds or ever had seen a Maxi too but we did find one that seems to know enough to do some good. It was funny when Nerd started doing the huffing thing and the uniformed ones thought he was going to vapor lock and drop dead right there but the vet in charge of him knew what it was.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
The Practical Pionus page 171: "The keratin layer is constantly being replaced as the outer layer wears down...the bill is constantly losing portions of keratin as part of normal wear & tear. The new keratin is pushed out over the underlying beak and the worn covering flakes away. A flaky beak, then, is a sign that the parrot is active and that its overall health is strong enough to replace keratin. Don't try to help process along by grinding off areas of the beak that are discolored or flaking."

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »
Thanks again Dartman! :)
Yes I hope that Jen sees this too. :)

Thanks Maxsmom! That really helped a lot! :)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »
I found this, which is a collection of heartbreaking beak injuries and deformities, which I suggest you scroll through quickly.  The last one shows a scaly looking beak that actually is nasal discharge.  Could this be a cause?   www.scottemcdonald.com/pdfs/Bad%20Beaks.pdf

On Avianweb, I found this entry:
Dietary: Poor feather condition / long molts and flaky beaks suggests the bird's diet is deficient in the limiting amino acid methionine. Once nutrition has been improved, it may take 9 to 12 months for new feathering and a new beak to grow.

High levels of methionine can be found in sesame seeds, Brazil nuts, fish, meats, and some other plant seeds. Most fruits and vegetables contain very little of it; however, some have significant amounts, such as spinach, potatoes and boiled corn. Most legumes, though high in protein, are also low in methionine.

On Birdchannel.com I found this:

Nutritional deficiencies: Liver disease from excess fat and poor nutrition in the diet can cause overgrown and scaly beaks. Lack of calcium and vitamin D can cause soft, rubbery beaks, mostly in smaller birds such as cockatiels. The solution is simple: get the bird on a proper diet, and, in time, these symptoms can usually be reversed.

Since our pi's like seed, if he is on seed, you might try giving less.  That way his diet is lower fat, which might help everything, but would really help if his liver is getting too much. The Avianweb article suggests methionine rich foods, most of which are seeds.  Of the vegetables high in methionine, I have read that spinach should not be fed since it is high in oxalates, which hinder calcium absorption.

I am sure the more experienced members here will know more than I can find online, but thought these articles were interesting and maybe possibilities.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 02:20:08 AM »
Thanks! :)
Nasal discharge, is that allergy?
His feather are in excellent condition and he is very active so he is absolute not ill or have a disease.
He is not getting so much seeds. He eats my food, (healthy food) pellets and a lot of veggies every day.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 03:44:30 PM »
Hi Eloy

I really think if you are in doubt you should consult with an avian vet. I understand from your other post that an avian vet may not be readily available, but when you find one a simple blood analysis should be able to tell you if there are any nutritional deficiencies and a general exam most likely  should be able to tell you about the general health. Most likely it isn't anything from my reading of The Practical Pionus but none of us, to my knowledge, are medical experts. If in doubt on a medical concern seek a professional you trust. I hope he is fine and there are no issues.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
If you want to take articles to your vet to educate them please know others here have had to do that, too.  Usually the vet is happy to see possibilities and can add scientific knowledge to the articles and photos. Please post what you find, it helps us all.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
I hope it is keratin replacement!