Author Topic: My Maximus  (Read 2478 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
My Maximus
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »
I just had a tender moment with Max. While he was preening I reached out to help. He put his head down and let me give a couple light scritches. I told him Thank you. I left my finger hanging near his head. He very very gently beaked my finger and reached up and held my finger in his foot and again very very gently beaked my finger. I told him I loved him. Ths exchange was so significant as we work to rebuild and move beyond The  Bite
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: My Maximus
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:59:38 PM »
Great maxsmom! I loved hearing that. Yes, a very significant moment for you two. I know there will be many more. We have to savor these moments knowing that as mature males, it's not always like this!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
That's awesome! Sounds like he's getting back to normal loving critter he usually is. It should help you get past the physical and emotional hurt as well, good for you. He might not even realize how bad what he did was, they have their reasons.
Let's hope it keeps going on the loving friend side for both of you, I do think they learn when something bad happens and try to not do the thing again. :thumbsup: :hbeat: :smallhug:
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:48:43 PM »
Thanks. I was away for a bit not long after the bite. I definitely had thoughts of oh I wish I had a tiel again. I was vaguely considering a third bird. But Max's velcro behavior never stopped after the bite. What I mean by velcro is that  he often pursues being near me. He definitely has a grumpy moody side but he also has a playful high energy side where he can't sit still and follows me a lot. I had invested in some type of playstation in most rooms of my house and have a lot of toys but keeping him entertained is really tough. He wants to be near me ....really on my  shoulder....and I am constantly moving him to a playstation. It is his persistence in pursuing a relationship that has brought a lot of healing.  I came home and saw if I got a tiel it would be hard to handle as I would have 3 birds wanting one person's attention.  Charlie may be hands off but he is very interactive in his own independent way and demands attention and I couldn't spend most of my time with a cuddlly tiel. So Max says to me in his own way Hey you switched to pionus , we are different but we want a relationship with you. So I'm rediscovering  my pleasure in having a pionus. Well I guess it is rediscovering my pleasure in having Maximus and Charlie just as having joy in cockatiels was about Lea and Georgette.....not just any bird as each one has its own personality.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 01:51:57 AM »
 :hbeat: :hbeat: :hbeat:

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »
Awww, such a sweet gesture Max has given you and loving his 'Ahhh Moments' with his favorite human.  :smallhug:

I wasn't around here during your bite experience, but I did read something about it in a thread. I am glad to hear Max has decided to make amends and start anew.  :hbeat:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:07 AM »
Max is adorable but he is a 2 year old hormonal boy. He was so snappy last night.

It is up to me to do more behavioral training to get both of us through what could be rough years. I refuse to say oh he is hormonal and leave it at that. So many wcp males get rehomed during these years.  They need to be given tools to be good pets.

Easier said than done as it is hard to get in a training routine. Still trying. ...all on me

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »
I really feel for you! But... I also know that you'll do fine.  :wink1: I do know that it will be a challenge.

Please do share your training and how it worked for specific situations.  :)

I know that Raven is not terribly far away from this stage either, and he already has a naturally 'strong' personality. He has learned to comply more, but I'm sure as he gets hormonal I will also be having to get some moral support here.

It's nice to have a species specific group to count on! Hang in maxsmom... You are ready for this.  :wink1:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »
I really feel for you! But... I also know that you'll do fine, though I know that it will be a challenge.

Please share your training and how it worked for specific situations.  :)

I know that Raven is not terribly far away from this stage either, and he already has a naturally 'strong' personality. He has learned to comply more, but I'm sure as he gets hormonal I will also be having to get some moral support here.

It's nice to have a species specific group to count on! Hang in there maxsmom... You are ready for this.  :wink1:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
Accidentally did quote. I give up! Jan, if you see this can you please delete? Thanks. Sorry

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
It's nice to have a species specific group to count on!
So agree on that! But I'm sure you will do fine too when Raven gets hormonal.
Eloy was hormonal long before 2 years old and now I'm only waiting for him to be 3.. LOL!
But he is so sweet some days so often I forgot when he is a pain in the ass.. :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
Well that's good to know that not every male who first enters puberty will stay 'hormonal' or act that way for YEARS. Though I've heard of that happening.

Some seem to get a worse and/or longer aggressive stage than others, who seem to get it a bit more mildly. I wonder if it is mostly just individuality, or if other external factors have anything to do with it?

Raven will be 1 August 28, next month already!
I've heard that they usually come into their hormones under 2. Before they're really ready to breed. I guess kind of like 12-13 year old children? Or young teenagers acting out Lol.