Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Brittany

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Hello everyone!
« on: May 16, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
 :hello1:
Hey everyone so I'm very new to the world of pionus and decided to join the forum to learn as much as I can about them. I am also looking for a wonderful breeder if any one knows one. I'm in San Diego but I'm willing to pay for shipping as they are pretty hard to find around here unfortunately. I'm in love with the bronze wing but also really like the maxi, so I'm still trying to decide which one. What would you guys suggest for my first pionus. I currently have one sweet cockatiel named sunny so I have some experience with a bird lol.  I just can't wait to bring home a new family member I already have a cage and toys set up I'm just so excited. Thanks for any info you can give me.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

Hello Brittney,

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of the Pionus parrot! I'm pretty out of touch on who currently breeds Pionus especially since I stopped breeding them in 2009.  You can find a few people who breed them if you just do a search on the web.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »
Hi Brittany, welcome! I'm in OC! I have a Bronze Winged. He has a really strong personality and is grumpier than one I used to have several years ago.  :) I got him from Wingnuts aviary in Indiana.

Have you ever thought of adopting an adult bird who needs. Good home? There are many Pi's out there needing a home if you are open to different kinds of Pionus. I think the differences are mainly between individuals rather than the type of Pi. 

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »
There is this website that is in the San Diego area ... they are suppose to have Bronze Wings and they list having Blue Head.
Melzano's Parrot Place

I do not know their reputation but you can check them out if you have not heard of them before.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Brittany

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
Hello jan thank you for letting me know about them I'll have to check them out :) I'm excited to learn all I can on this awesome forum.

Hey Julie  we are practically neighbors  :) I would love to give a Pi a home that's actually what I initially wanted to do, but had no luck finding them in any of my local shelters and I have actually never seen one in person. If you know of a way to find Pi's that need homes that would be awesome :) thanks.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 01:52:20 AM »
Welcome  :hello1:
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »
I know a very conscientious one in the central valley, she has two pairs of Maxis, one of them Is my bird's sister. Pm me if you are interested.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
Brittany, there is the Lily Sanctuary in Fountain Valley... A bit of a drive for you, but I've heard really good things about this place! I'm sure they get Pionus from time to time? Good luck
Lilysanctuary.org

Offline Brittany

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »
Great, thanks Ill check them out.

Offline Brittany

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 09:40:36 AM »
momazon I think i just PM you :) I'm still getting used to this forum haha hopefully it went through.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »
Yes, let me know if you got my reply.  Will keep my eyes open.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »
Have you found any pi's yet?

Offline Brittany

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »
Well Someone has bronze wings but they have people on a wait list so I'm waiting to see if I'll be able to get one. Some one also has two baby maxi/white cap hybrids. Has any one ever seen what these would look like or has anyone had any experience with them. Do you guys think they would be a good first pionus for someone who's never had one. I'm curious to see what you guys think on the hybrids, if I'm not able to get the bronze wing baby I was thinking of getting the maxi cap :) let me know what you guys think thanks :)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 09:33:57 PM »
The hybrids should make a wonderful pet just like any of the others. I think Pionus vary with individual personality more so than species. Also male and female Pionus are typically different in personality and behavior. Good luck  :)

Offline Brittany

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
How do the male and female differ in personality? :)