Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 4031 times)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »
Not sure of other's experiences, but in general, I think the females tend to be sweet, nicely playful, and more quiet, the males are sweet, interactive, and more talkative.  Dobby is energetic and loves to fly around to the boings, go out and climb in his aviary, and tease the dogs.  He also has really funny quirks, like chasing me when I have a hat on. In the spring, he wants to have a towel fight when he comes out of his cage.  I keep an old dishtowel on top of the cage for this game. Most of the time he just follows me from room to room, wanting  some of the food I fix, sometimes making his water noises if he wants a shower.  He is four now and is still a sweet baby.  I do not touch him if he is puffed up and strutting.

From what I have been told, most people's pi's are apparently not this rowdy, but he is also very trainable.  While I cannot stop him from flying at my knit caps in the winter, I taught him a nonsense word that signals he should not bite or scratch.  When he is being rambunctious, I say the word and he almost always calms down.He has at least 30 words, phrases and imitations of sounds, not all very clear. One of his favorite things is to sit on the computer screen and doze as I type.

Dob's sister, who is a breeder, is more sedentary and non demanding.  She does not talk much, but is a very easy bird, by all accounts. I cannot give as much detail on her, but she is pretty happy on her perch.

Still, you cannot make a blanket statement that covers all pi's, and someone like Jan will have more information for sure, this is only  what I know of two related pi's.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »
Lurch is a male, he talks, loves to just sit beside me or on my knee, get scratches and share dinner and treats. He also
hates going to bed, gets homicidal when I wear the wrong hat or hoodie, and can just be pissy in general some days so no shoulder time etc. He's very outgoing, big, and can be loving, or aggressive.
Nerd we never knew but figured he was male. He was shy and timid, very small and skinny, took forever to like new things. Anytime he got worried he'd do the pionus weeze and sound like he was about to vapor lock. I think he loved me and I him. We were best buds for most of 31 years. They both are/ were Maxi Pionus and couldn't be more different, but similar. Nerd loved to play fight and attack my fingers like he was going to rip them off but he would never bite hard. Lurch would probably actually tear them off so no attack the hand games yet but he's only been here 5 years so we are still working things out. They all are individuals just like people so similar but who knows what you'll get and let him go at his own pace and take the long term approach. Interesting to see what that hybrid will be like but could be a great companion.
Village Idiot

Offline Brittany

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies  :icon_mrgreen: it seems every pi is different so I'll just have to wait and see what I get haha. Your birds sound adorable, I can't wait to bring home my new buddy. I won't find out until about the second week of July if I'll be getting the bronze wing or hybrid so the wait is on!!!