Author Topic: found another Lurch trigger last night  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
found another Lurch trigger last night
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
I was sitting in my recliner watching TV with Lurch on the arm hanging out. Was getting late and had my good glasses on and decided to get the micro fiber cloth out and clean em up. Lurch started looking anxious and flaring, then screeched and attacked my arm. He was going at it for all he was worth so I yelled and shoved him off the arm while he screamed, pirate sweared, and complained. I held up the cloth and he struck at it. A minute later we were both calmed down and I was telling him to be a good bird.
He then went back to the arm and was scratch me daddy like nothing ever happened so I did so the night would end on a good note. It was loud enough it woke my sister up in time to see him screaming and latched onto my arm.
I think maybe he thought the cloth was attacking me or dangerous and went to bite so daddy runs away, or maybe it was getting more attention then he was. Also it was close to bed time and he hates anyone making him go in so he might have been tired and pissy.
Either way he's fine today and not holding a grudge or upset, just wants scratches and treats like normal.
I wish these guys came with a owners manual or a easier away to see what they're really thinking. So many rules even when you've been around them for years. At least he didn't put any holes in my arm and I don't think he was holding back. :shocking:
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: found another Lurch trigger last night
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »
Sorry about attack. My face got.bit hard on.Friday by Max. Afterwards he repeatedly told me he was good and that he.loved me. I didn't take bait and took.a break as I tended to my wound. I know what you mean about owners' manual. I am.going to square one with training and hoping my face does not scar. Hope you are ok
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »
Oh my goodness! :shocking:

I'm so sorry to hear that happened maxsmom, as I'm hoping for your sake that it heals asap and doesn't scar either. Here is a link with some helpful tips to help prevent scarring.  :)
http://www.livestrong.com/article/144530-remedies-to-prevent-scarring/

Terry, glad to hear your arm is okay too! :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »
Thanks so much for link. I will never treat my.pionus like I did my cockatiels again. They are not domesticated pets. They will not get near my head.  I accept responsibility and definitely will embrace parrot behavior training in earnst

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
Thanks and glad your face sounds like it will be OK. I was lucky and my arm skin is still pretty flexible, thick, and loose so it just kinda gave way and moved around as he grabbed and ground at it, plus he didn't get the point in.
When he first got here and had started coming out to the top of his cage he dropped a treat and I bent down to pick it up. He didn't like my face so close to his house and nailed me in the lip :taz:
So I know all about face bites and yes it was my fault but we did have a very bad talk and he was a bit slower to just bite after that.
I think sometimes it brings up a scary image for them so they just lash out. I know when he first got here he had given up on warnings and just went right to hard bite mode.
He also MOST times now gives plenty of warning and doesn't bite as hard as he can, but I don't think he was that night.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
Thanks so much for link. I will never treat my.pionus like I did my cockatiels again. They are not domesticated pets. They will not get near my head.  I accept responsibility and definitely will embrace parrot behavior training in earnst

I don't personally feel comfortable with a parrot on my shoulder. I've heard stories like that before. It seems like the majority of people do it, but it's taking a risk. I was actually debating about letting Raven do it, my husband does regardless of what I tell him. I've decided not to. I'd rather be able to see the body language first if I'm going to kiss my birds or put put them near my face. We'll see how bad Raven is after maturity, but I will definitely be aware of his body language and especially near my face. This is a big reminder to all of us! Hope you heal fast.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:19:12 AM »
So sorry to both of you! It is never fun when our birds attack us.
And a manual is needed if you have a male Pi.
Lots of hugs and love from me and Eloy to both of you! ♥♥♥

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »
I was doing sit ups on floor and Max was sitting on me. I was in a very vulnerable position. Never again. Hoping I.do not have permanent reminder..such a visible wound location....very humbling

Thanks for well wishes

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 06:53:28 PM »
Just read this, so sorry to hear about the bites!!!  Our rehomed senegal bites and hangs on, and attacks all other animals if she gets out. 

Dobby has nipped a couple of times when I did not read his body language correctly and put my face close to the perch, but always a warning nip.  It was scary.

Terry and Maxsmom, you have  great attitudes towards your birds. 

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 09:41:59 PM »
Thanks, He's a work in progress and I'm sure he thinks the same of me but the times when he's preening on or by me with happy eyes makes it all worth it and he keeps getting more loving and forgiving, BUT he still has his moments.
I could tell he was getting wound up that night but lately most times he just pinches or pecks quickly and he's done.
I didn't get outa the way quick enough and he was really upset and let me have it very quickly.
Hope MaxsMom is OK and Max is back to being good as sounds like she got it worse then me and she's taking the long term too.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 12:02:15 AM »
I simply can't let Max cajole me to letting him near my head. Our relationship HAS to change in that respect. I got him as a baby and our bonding occurred with him on my shoulder. He loves to hang out on me. I have been warned with bites  before but this is the worst bite so parrot training 101 has my full attention

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »
@Maxsmom.
How is it? Both physical and with your face?
I have been thing about you alot, and I feel so sorry for you. I hope you heal in both way fast. ♥♥♥
The first time Eloy attack me I was so shocked (and sad too) that he could do that, but later I understand not to take it personal.

Again, many, many hugs!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »
Guess I have to read more of that Pionus book like Jan's selling but I know they do misplaced bites, and the bite to get you away from their perceived danger so I think both of us were victims of some version of that, plus some things just get them into battle mode.
The first night when it seemed Lurch and I were doing great, then he just turned and bit as hard and fast as he could really shocked and made me sad too. I was thinking we were going to be friends right away and it didn't turn out that way :(
Hurt my feelings too but it was his first night and I now know he was scared to death so lucky he allowed what he did.
Nerd used to look at my eyes then gently preen the lashes but I'd never try that with Lurch, I like my eyes. Plus after all those years we had trust and respect for each other.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »
Nerd used to look at my eyes then gently preen the lashes
Awww! That is so cute to read, ♥♥♥ I understand that you miss him a lot.
Eloy is sometimes that cute too and wants to preen my eyebrows. But often he just do it to tell me that I should be preening him.  :haha:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »
Yeah Nerd was my best buddy and I miss him but Lurch and I are working things out nicely, we just still have those rough patches to work through :shocking:
Lucky that Eloy can be trusted to preen your eyebrows without a pop in the eye but you did get him young so he's gotten to know and trust you without all the used parrot baggage most of us are dealing with now :icon_mrgreen:
Lurch will just sidle up to my hand or arm, put his head down, maybe grab a finger or nibble my arm to get me with it, plus he'll shove his beak under my hand and push as hard as he can to get me with the scritches :biglaughing:
Village Idiot