Author Topic: found another Lurch trigger last night  (Read 3845 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: found another Lurch trigger last night
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 01:46:27 AM »
@Maxsmom.
How is it? Both physical and with your face?
I have been thing about you alot, and I feel so sorry for you. I hope you heal in both way fast. ♥♥♥
The first time Eloy attack me I was so shocked (and sad too) that he could do becauseut later I understand not to take it personal.

Again, many, many hugs!

The wound has closed up. Time will tell if this is a permanent scar. It is very very visible on my face so it is a constant reminder. Mentally this has affected me in that I have not started training Max anew yet. I am kind to him but I will not let him get above my waist. He is constantly trying. I am sad because the nature of our relationship seems changed. But perhaps when I start training him again we can bond in another way. Charlie pursues Max for companionship while Max is trying to cajole me.......we are quite the threesome..

Thanks for asking

The eyebrow preening sounds lovely.....something I enjoyed with my cockatiels
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
That's too bad that Max has got you upset and now you can't trust him on your shoulder :( Hope the bite heals up well with no scars. I had a radiator cap blow on on me a while ago and I got cold water on my arm, hand, and chest where the scalding water hit me. I normally make those big ugly keltoid scars and I have nothing on my chest at all as I kept it clean and protected and it had blisters and everything.
I do some small spots on my wrist and left hand you can hardly see, but I'm a guy with lots of scars on those areas so it just blends in.
Ralph, a BeeBee parrot I had for a while when younger bit me hard on the nose when I was too close and that healed perfectly and Lurches lip bite is history though I don't think it was as deep as yours sounds.
Lurch yesterday was upset I didn't let him out or uncover him right away when he heard me wake up so he was pissy all day off and on.
He'd fluff up and start heading for my arm and I'd hold something up he could bite till he calmed down, then he'd hang out happily, get upset again, and nip at my finger I was scratching him with.
Finally about 9:30 pm he went in after trying to land on my shoulder with bad intent as he was upset again so sister ran up and shut his door and told him he and daddy needed a break from each other.
I had walked away telling him fine, you don't want to be nice I'm leaving and you can be pissy by yourself. :shocking:
This morning I got up sorta early and ran right out and uncovered him, greeted him, and opened his door so hopefully he'll get over being shut up and ignored longer then he liked.
He's been flying to me when I walk away and landing on my arm or shoulder lately and being perfectly nice, happy, and a gentleman, so we'll see how he is today and I wont let him up there either till I know he's back in a good mood. It sure hurts when you have a critter that seems to be your best friend and they do things like this. We get upset, they can feel the emotion, then they get more upset too and it feeds on itself till things change and we both feel like friends and trusting each other again.  :hugs:
Hang in there and be careful, Max may not even know why he did what he did and now he knows your upset so he's on guard and you two will just have to work through it and get back to your happy place.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 09:44:11 AM »
Maxsmom, I feel the emotion of your post. I can just imagine. I think it's quite normal to feel the way you do about the trust, new rules, hurt feelings, seeing your relationship in a different light - seeing Max at this moment for what he is... A sexually mature male animal. It hurts so badly though when they are also our babies, and the love of our life. I could also imagine the upset and concern over the healing wound in a place where you'd definitely not want a scar  :(. I hope all goes well in that regard.

You will get the courage again to rebuild your relationship with Max in a healthy way. Don't worry, :) you'll get there again. This really opens my eyes to Raven. He's 9 months now, and I do wonder what he'll be like as a mature adult. I ponder whether he'll always have more 'patience' for my husband (who I can now see is his favorite :()! Take care.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
This thread made me think of all the bites from all the birds over the years, and I realized I have had some pretty painful ones, but have no scars in visible places.  Just behind one ear. The face is different.

It may help to point to the bite and say "owie, poor, poor Mommy" or whatever you say to him to let him know this was a big deal.  I did that to Dobby and he gentled down.Also with  one of the rehomes we had years ago  who would attack my ear when I stood at the stove. Once she got it and hung on, with me screaming and shaking my head.  Lots of blood and drama, and she never bit again. I did nothing except try to shake her off, so it wasn't a matter of her getting hurt.  I think it was a game and after the big bite, she knew it was not.  I did not hold her for a week, and maybe a month went by before I let her back on my shoulder.  When I did, she was much better and oddly, way more well behaved.

I do not claim to know how intelligent they are, or whether or not they can always be safe, but I do know they put things together and understand way more than we realize.

You have my best wishes for rebuilding your trust in your little guy.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »
I think sometimes if they get punishment, a scolding, timeout, something RIGHT after they do whatever bad thing theydo remember and try not to repeat whatever they did that had a bad result. Nerd bit my toe one time very badly so I grabbed his beak and held on while telling him that was bad. He always had a issue with feet, his feet, my feet, he hated his being touched and hated my bare toes and feet with a passion. After that he still hated feet but he never just attacked my toes without plenty of noise and warning first. I don't think he knew they were part of Daddy till that happened.
Sometimes they just do what a wild Pionus does so they aren't upset but you still get bit and then anything you do to let them know it was bad doesn't compute with them so it just confuses them and gets them upset.
Lurch has nipped my fingers before but he's not fluffed up mad, or eyes pinning, so he was probably giving a danger warning or trying to play and didn't realize how hard he was biting.
When he does that he gets a pass as he's just being a maxi and he usually doesn't bite hard.
Village Idiot

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »
Well found out Lurch has a real issue with some of my favorite hats he doesn't usually see me in too :shocking: He went right after me when I got out one of my favorite work around and do things hats, launched right at me, screeched as he landed and bit my neck hard. He then flew right to the curtain we use to hide the washer dryer set and realized he was in big trouble so headed right for his cage. I told him that wasn't nice and strode over with purpose and chased him inside with a pillow while he complained and attacked it. Then I told him to think about what he'd done and covered him with his blanket for 10 minutes or so. I came back in and uncovered him and he was still upset and striking at me so I left him inside after uncovering him. He eventually started making cute noises and begging nicely to be let out but I left him in for a couple of hours and finally let him out and he was nice after that.
Geeze, one time he's fine with a hat or new thing, next time it's homicidal rage and attack mode :omg:

And Maxsmom how are you doing lately, and is Charlie trying to be nice again and things getting back to normal? Lurch still pops us in the neck or back of the head from time to time but he's starting to learn to just peck, or use the curve of his beak rather then a bite as biting doesn't get him what he wants and he gets to leave.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 12:18:01 PM »
I am still healing physically and emotionally.  Max craves to be on my shoulder and to follow me around so he is persistently pursuing me. It is tough when he looks at me and says Mommy, I love you.  Still gathering myself to develop some more positive training with him...probably will go back to target training

I was doing sit ups a week or 2 ago. Max came out of his cage and was running across floor to me saying Mommy.I love you. I quickly stood up. Max was bewildered and looked lost and slowly walked back.to cage. Charge then came out of his cage charging at me.....seemingly upset that I upset his buddy Max.So now I lock them in cages when I do sit ups
.....I was bit on face doing situps so this is very sensitive thing for me
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
Yeah, that sucks but sounds like he thought he was protecting his friend from his other friend  :(  I'd keep them locked up too as face bites are bad news and no need to take a chance with a known trigger. Lurch certainly charges like a little bull when he's in battle mode and we try to stay outa his way and get him into something else before it gets ugly but sometimes he just goes off before we can dodge, and it certainly does hurt your feelings, plus your body, and puts a damper on the relationships we've built up with him.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »
.....I was bit on face doing situps so this is very sensitive thing for me
I understand that! I would have react the same so don't feel bad for it.
I hope you soon will be fine physically, and how is it with your face?
A lot of hugs from me to you! ♥♥♥

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
He then flew right to the curtain we use to hide the washer dryer set and realized he was in big trouble so headed right for his cage. I told him that wasn't nice and strode over with purpose and chased him inside with a pillow while he complained and attacked it.
Have you tried to do nothing?

When Eloy is angry and upset about something I have two choice.
1. To get angry back and try to handle him, and that is to challenge him, (I have done it once so I know) a battle I know I will loose in the end. (And I loose that time because he was angry for some days after that in the same situation)
2. To do nothing and just ignore him. :-) I often just leave the room he is in, and close the door. I never try to put him in his cage because that means I need to handle him when he is aggressive and I think that is wrong.
I often watch him and as soon he is doing something not aggressive, to play or something like that I open the door and tell him that he is a good boy and if he wants he can step up on my arm to re enforce that we are friends again.
This is working really fine, and I never need to be angry at him, and I believe that it will only make it worse if you get angry back.

Eloy can go from battle mode to cuddle mode in only minutes, I believe that he feels that he can be angry if he wants, but he don't have any to fight with when he is, so it is better to be nice as soon as possible.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »
OH I wasn't about to handle him, he went back to his cage on his own so I shooed him inside with the pillow, never really touched him at all.
I had no clue what he was upset about at that point, just knew something set him off and up to that point I was talking nice to him and in a good mood.
Many times we just leave him alone when he's really upset about something and yes, usually very shortly after he's back to normal but some times he stays upset. I do realize when I get upset he gets more upset too but sometimes the emotions or severity of the situation take over.
He's been pretty good lately, that was about a week after the arm biting and at first no clue it was the hat that set him off.
And yes I usually try to say are you in a good mood now or something  and if he is he'll act all happy and normal again, if not I get the fluff of doom and leave him alone till he forgets about it. He has held a grudge before too, I think they have long memories for perceived wrongs to them. Nerd turned his back on us for a few days after we came back from a week of vacation and Lurch has stayed touchy a few days after a battle and I wont touch him when like that either as I have the scars from him AND Nerd to prove it's not a good idea unless you don't care about severe bites.
As far as the first trigger I scritched him and offered a treat after he came back like nothing ever happened to put things back in a good mode to go to bed on so he'd be happy again.
Village Idiot