Author Topic: Couple of questions Pionus and Yams  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Couple of questions Pionus and Yams
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »
Raven's all time FAVORITE food is thankfully a healthy one... Raw yams!
In fact, he loves yams so much that he'll even get excited to get a piece like a treat (even though it's in his food bowl everyday).

1)
I'm wondering if the amount of protein in yams over the long run (as one of his staple food items) is too much, since too much protein can cause problems in Pionus. Though Yams (orange) do have LESS protein than Sweet Potatoes (tan).

2)
I noticed that Raven is at his heaviest weight (these days 232-235) when he is eating yams regularly. Strangely, if he doesn't eat yams for a couple days (if I ran out and haven't gone shopping), he will drop like crazy (221-227). Once he was even 218!! Then he ate yams for a day and a half and was back up again. The weight loss occurs on lower calorie foods (?) like broccoli, bell pepper, spinach, carrot, and Harrison's lifetime formula which is definitely not a weight gaining pellet.

* This significant weight gain/drop also happens with my Red Bellied parrot when he eats his daily yam slice or not.

Any insight into to this?

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Couple of questions Pionus and Yams
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:51:18 PM »
Mine won't touch them any way I prepare them.  They all like foods in a casing, like peas.  Seems the yam skin is not enough to scoop out the flesh in a satisfactory way.

Never checked the protein content, just assumed they are a very healthy choice.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »
I don't feed yams and or sweet potato.  No particular reason as to why not, it's just that years ago I use to dice it up raw but then was told not to feed it raw and not sure if that is correct or not.  I should try it again at some point.  Sorry not much help!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
I wonder why they said don't feed raw? Perhaps because many birds don't like them, and have a better chance of liking them cooked?

My other parrot Robin hates vegetables, yet one of the few he'll eat are raw yams!

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »
I wonder why they said don't feed raw?
Probably because it contains a lot of starch raw.
And it is not so healthy food. Eloy and I are eating once a week and always boiled, we both like yams.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »
Back when I use to dice up raw yams, I had heard that when raw, they are toxic.  You can read on this link and down on the page where they have Miscellaneous Yam Information is where it states when it is eaten raw.  So back years ago when I read about that I stopped giving yams being that I was not going to cook them.  Not sure if sweet potatoes are toxic if raw too ... people often get the two mixed up and they are really two different vegetables.  None of my birds suffered any ill effects from eating them raw.  If I recall, don't think they were a well loved food item when they are the mixture of stuff I would dice up.  I always peeled them and washed them too.

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/productreviews/p/yam_pro.htm
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »
Oh wow!  :shocking: I guess according to the article, we are eating "sweet potatoes" not yams!
But there are the orange flesh/red skinned ones, then the yellowish flesh/tan skinned ones. I wonder if these are BOTH supposed to be called sweet potatoes? Well, as long as they've been eating it daily, this kind is obviously not toxic!

The starch though, I hear you... Hmm, but my vet says they're good. :dunno:

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »
They are not so healthy, trust me. But of course it depends on what you are compare them too.
One thing that is good with them is that they contains beta carotene, and that is one thing our Pionus needs a lot.
But they don't need so much starch, so boil them and serve them warm. (if you slice them it take 5-10 min to boil them) Eloy loves that!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
I'll try not to feed so much then, but I do notice that when the birds don't have the orange sweet potato, they drop weight like crazy. Maybe that is really their "normal" weight, and the higher yam weight is water weight gain or something like that.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 03:07:04 AM »
They are not so healthy, trust me. But of course it depends on what you are compare them too.
One thing that is good with them is that they contains beta carotene, and that is one thing our Pionus needs a lot.
But they don't need so much starch, so boil them and serve them warm. (if you slice them it take 5-10 min to boil them) Eloy loves that!

I never heard sweet potato or yam were not healthy. I always heard white potato was not healthy and sweet potato was healthy.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 08:23:36 AM »
Vet told me years ago to feed Nerd as much orange or red colored veggies as he would eat as long as they were safe and we tried to stuff him with anything he'd touch, junk food or not, as he was always underweight.
Must have been working as his numbers were usually good and he made it 31 years feathers bones and all.
Lurch mostly eats pellets and Nutri Berries, plus anything we're eating as long as it's safe and his weight has been right at 250 the few times I managed to get him to sit on the scale long enough, Nerd was always 214, maybe 225 after a good day of foraging.
Village Idiot