Author Topic: Howdy From Texas  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
Howdy From Texas
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »
Hi, as the title exclaims I live in Texas with my hubby of 36 yrs. And my flock of 17. Now that sounds like an awful lot, but 10 of those are budgies who live together in a large flight cage and I have them for the sheer pleasure of enjoying their sweet sing songs. :yes:

The rest of my flock consists of my 2 male Catalina macaws, Roscoe & Angel. My female Green Wing,  Ruby Jewel. My female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle,  My White Capped Pionus,  Sierra Sunrise, (sex unknown). My female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure,  Serita Peta Lynae. And my male Rose Breasted Cockatoo,  Dakota Nakira'Too.  :faint:

I saw this site awhile back when I was researching pionus info after I got Sierra whom I call female just because she reminds me of a temperamental female.  :thdope: She is adorably rotten and very outspoken about what she likes. I've had her since last December and she will be 1 yr old in Aug, 3 days after my birthday. I am at work on my cell phone right now. I will get a few photos on here in a few days when I'm off again. I work  4 on 4 off 12 hr night shift. I will have more time then to really look around the forum.

I also have 8 dogs I lovingly call my wolf pack tho they are all foo foo dogs.  I have 2 male toy poodles,  2 male Shih Tzus, 3 female standard poodles,  and 1 male sheepadoodle which is a cross between an Old English Sheepdog and a standard poodle, but he is no kin to my girls. :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for having me here and muddling through my myriad of birds and dogs. :thwaves:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Howdy From Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
Wonderful, do you have an outside area for the birds, or are they all inside?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
Welcome!!!!! I have a 2 year old male wcp & 10 year old male Maxi Coral Bill.  Sierra may be a male based on your description. Female pi are sweeter than males. Enjoy the wcp spunk! They are pretty energetic and playful.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 01:54:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes maxmom & momazon. We are on the way to work, no I'm not driving. Hubby drives to work & I drive home 8 the mornings. We have a 100 mile round trip each evening.

I figured Sierra has an identity crisis since I call her a she. I was thinking she is probably a he and especially after reading some of ya'lls descriptions of your kids.

I will chat more on my off days if my internet 8 I a good mood. We love in the country and it us not so good out here. All my birds are indoors. No outside accommodation s yet.

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »
That.is Texas driving!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:36:04 PM »
Welcome! Would love to see pics of the flock and herd!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 06:16:13 AM »
Thank you Julie T. I will get a few photos of my flock, when I'm off work in the next couple of days. The herd is shaved down for summer, except the sheepadoodle. Only 3/4th of him is shaven. The clippers went dull on me again and I have to get all my blades resharpened so I can finish or get the scissors out to finish. His hair is super thick with being a mix of poodle and sheepdog! 

maxsmom you sound like you know Texas well. Everything is a long way from anything round these parts!  :biglaughing:

Tonight is my last night of work for this 4 day set. I got home a little while ago & the flock is out on their play perches. I have to get them fed & back in their enclosures so I can get to bed for my nap. I will chat more with everyone tomorrow if I can find a moment.  :icon_mrgreen:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 02:12:17 AM »
I have only been to Texas once. I have heard about driving in Texas though. I live on East Coast and driving more than2 hours is a significant deal to me. More than 2 hours will require a lot of consideration if I can't fly or take train. Someone from TX once told me long drives are  routine in TX. I commuted by car over 60 miles each way for a year....nearly killed me with exhaustion

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:15 AM »
We've been making this trip for 8 1/2 yrs now. Racked up lots of miles.
We live 65 miles from the largest town in our are which  is Abilene. We are about 200 miles west of Dallas.

I've been all over the East Coast and actually been in every state in the lower 48 when I rode with hubby in the truck. Since my son lives in Alaska, I have been there too once for his wedding in Aug of 08. We drive up & back in our 2008 VW Beetle and 5 dogs in the hatchback. I didn't have the last 3 back then. It was a long trp, but beautiful and we slept in the car more nights than we did in motels.

I have to say I will take my long stretches of roads to travel over the heavy traffic roads out your way. I was always so keyed up and stressed out when we had to go east in the truck. And I don't fly anywhere, never been on a plane.

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »

My Welcome Wagon is on a roll ... I've not been checking in here as much as I should be but nevertheless, it's nice to have you and your beautiful flock here!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 01:57:56 AM »
Thank you  Jan. Eventually I'll get a few photos of all my feathered kids on here.

~~We All Live In Texas~~