The Wonderful World of the Pionus Parrot Species > ALL OTHER Parrot Species

~~My Sweet Angel~~

(1/2) > >>

Nakia:
Angel is my older Catalina Macaw boy and Roscoe's brother. Angel was 3 yrs old this past April. He is also a special needs bird, but actually he needs no special care. :love5: Angel was born with extra calcium deposits in his leg and wing joints. He cannot stand on his legs like his brother Roscoe, but he can climb with the best of them and loves life to the fullest. He just does everything a little different. Angel doesn't have the impish streak his brother has. He loves a neck scritch and when he doesn't want to be bothered he gently takes my finger and moves it away from him. He has never tried to bite hard. It is just amazing to be around this boy.  :hbeat:

The only extra thing I have to do to his enclosure is add more limbs that crisscross in a manner to give Angel more to lean across when he tires of hanging on the wire. If anyone ever has the opportunity of being owned by a special needs bird, please give it another look and chance to have a normal life with you. I guarantee it is worth every minute you spend with a bird who lives for the love of just being alive.  :smallhug:

Julie T:
Aw, Angel sounds like a real sweetheart  :). He's lucky to have found you!

Nakia:
Thanks Julie, I feel super lucky to have Angel in my life.

~~Angel's story~~When I was waiting for Roscoe to wean I was considering getting another parrot so he would have some company since the only other birds I had in the house were the tiny budgies. I saw on Roscoe's breeder's FB page that she had a baby Eclectus. I had a male many years ago and decided I would get another one and that would be Roscoe's house mate. Not to be housed together, but sharing life with me together. This baby ekkie was spoken for if it were a male, up for grabs if it were a female. It turned green so I asked to be put on a waiting list for one from the clutch due to hatch in Jan. Back in Dec of that year I was browsing the breeder's FB page to see what was going on and I read the story of Angel. The breeder wrote that she had a special Angel macaw who had been born with leg disabilities. Three days after hatching she found out he was not right and took him to her vet. The vet suggested she let him go thinking he would never be able to move on his own with how severe it looked at that age. The breeder's grown daughter who had gone through a difficult time in her life during that time begged her Mom to give Angel a chance. So the breeder took Angel back home for special care.

The story went on to say the breeder was sure she had only prolonged his end as the weeks went by. She said he was a very sad boy and she was considering taking him to the vet for his long journey over the rainbow bridge. She just couldn't stand to see him not being able to care for himself and become depressed. Her daughter said wait, give him some time. She did and to her surprise one day he learned to climb and a brand new happy Angel emerged. She was so thankful that her daughter had been his supporter through it all and saw something in him that she just knew he would make it.

She went on to say as her story ended about Angel's struggles and triumphs that she hoped he would one day find an angel of his own who would love him and let him blossom into the magnificent macaw he was destined to be. But if that angel never came she would never give up on him again. I contacted the breeder and asked what requirements did Angel need and what was she looking for in a home for him? She told me he did not require anything more than extra perches crossed to give him places to lay across. She said as far as choosing him a home she required a willing heart and a loving touch because he is a very special boy who deserves to be given a chance to show his true spirit for life. I asked to be considered and after a couple pf weeks she told me when Roscoe was ready to go home Angel would be coming with him.   :smallhug:

I had no experience with caring for or being around a special needs bird. But once Angel come home I knew he needed nothing more than his rowdy younger brother needed. He has been a blessing to have in my life and I am so glad I read about him that day in Dec.  :hbeat: Oh and I did still get one of the two ekkies that I was on the waiting list for. That would be my ekkie girl, The Diva~Miss Leyla Belle La Ru Longhorn.  :icon_mrgreen:

Dartman:
Great story, critters do adapt to whatever life throws at them if given a chance. We raised a house finch a crow was going to eat as a baby and she lost several toes and had her foot broken by Nerd, my Pionus, before we realized how much he'd grown homicidal towards her.
I tried to message out the tight foot but eventually it was not doing any good and she flew and hopped around like any other finch would once everything healed. And she could climb and perch just fine too.
Good for you and he sure looks like a big happy boy now with no clue he has issues :bighug:

Julie T:
That's a wonderful story! It was completely meant to be  :) thanks for sharing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version