Author Topic: Calypso's Castle  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Anna

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Calypso's Castle
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:25:24 AM »
Calypso is my beautiful, ornery comedian of the Greenwing Macaw persuasion. He's the one in my Avatar riding my Collie. He's a free spirit and we have given up on an enclosed cage. I am hoping to do two things but my mind is old and fragile so I just do one at a time! The first is to make an awesome, huge PVC open palace for him to live, play and poo on. I want to exploit the space I have to work with as much as possible to maximize his living quarters.

I don't follow recipes too well so I'm sort of flying by the seat of my britches with this. I still have to measure the outside measurements, it will not be a rectangle because I have a top ledge I have to work around. If it works, he'll have some overhanging ledges to play on, too. I'm still considering whether or not I want to suspend his Atom from the middle portion or if I want to keep it separate altogether. I found PVC wallboard that I think will might be what I am looking for for the poo catcher.

So...we'll see how this thing starts to materialize! I hope anyone with experience with PVC and building, DYI in general will pipe in!!
Calypso, the magnificent Greenwing Macaw
Cecil, the cranky but lovable Senegal Parrot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Calypso's Castle
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
You are very ambitious!  Wish I could help, but have no experience with PVC.

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:49:51 PM »
I don't have any experience either but I would love to come over and help/laugh!! And what is wrong with "Lypso" why doesn't he use his cage? Doesn't he know how hard you worked getting that thing together? Not that I find anything wrong with cage free living.......I think it is awesome!!  :icon_mrgreen:  Have any deer heads fallen on him lately?  :biglaughing:  Newer members are probably thinking "WTH"  :shocking:

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »

Aw, I often have wondered how you and the birdies have been!  So Calypso is still rough with his tail feathers? 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Anna

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »
Ha! No, no errant deer heads lately, thank goodness. Lypso is a free-man kind of bird. Also, a handsome mechanic and can take anything apart but refuses to put it back together. He takes his cage apart and I cuss and put it back together and he takes his cage apart and ... you get the picture.  :biglaughing:

Yes, Jan, he is still rough with his feathers. Though, it does seem like he is able to keep them kept a little better being out of his cage. Though, on occassion, he still does end up with a Duck-butt cut, much to my dismay!
Calypso, the magnificent Greenwing Macaw
Cecil, the cranky but lovable Senegal Parrot