Author Topic: Vet says Bronze Winged males are...  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Marisol

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Re: Vet says Bronze Winged males are...
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
 Hi Julie, :hello1:
 He did have hormonal behavior by the time he was almost 3. But it wasn't aggressive at all, and all you had to do is walk away or distract him with a treat and all was forgotten! So sad I cant even hold him!. I started giving him the avicalm. Never have used it before, but I think it is taking the edge off. He isnt puffed up as much at the sight of me, so that is something, and he is actually talking again and saying " Taco is a good boy, Hi Taco, luv Taco"..I will be calling the vet next week, just to check and see if there are any natural anything I could use (like chamomile flower) anything! I also stopped giving him any warm foods, just in case that triggers it..hit and miss for awhile, I'm sure. Lets see how it goes!
 I have two other birds, Coco a female Blue Front Amazon and Sam a male Moluccan Cockatoo...I have to say, in my case, girls are easier!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 12:19:39 AM »
Hang in there Marisol... Hopefully the Avicalm will work. Let us know!

I'm scared now for Raven's upcoming hormones!! :shocking: Yes, the girl birds are usually a lot easier! It's good to know that you do get clear body language signs with Pionus when the biting is from hormones. How cute he says Taco is a good boy, hi Taco, luv Taco haha. I think it's so cute when Pionus talk. They usually have adorable voices. My Red Bellied parrot has a deep voice like an old man haha, he IS an old man, but I don't know why his voice is deep!

Offline Marisol

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Hello again!
 Wanted to do a small update on Taco. The avicalm is actually working for him.. YAY!. He is letting me pet him, he was on my lap playing, and even let me give him a little head scratch!! Woo.. I still can see he has hormone overload, specially around his cage, but not as aggressive as before.  I have never used avicalm before, since I always feel it is better for nature to run its natural course, but I truly believe he is also very glad things have settled!. Poor thing didn't know if he was coming or going  :icon_mrgreen: . At least, I know better for next time!.
 Good luck to all the others out there!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »
Thanks, have to keep that in mind if Lurch gets way out a hand. Wonder if Petco or any of the regular pet places sell it.
Village Idiot

Offline Marisol

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »
 Hello Dartman,
 I have never seen it at Petco or Petsmart. I purchased mine at the AZ bird rescue. If you don't have an avian store near by, then the best bet would be online.
 As reluctant as I was, I really really rec comended. It just takes the edge enough to let him be more like his normal self. Now, is Lurch is a little head strong, then he be a little head strong with a smile  :icon_mrgreen:
 Hope it works for your little guy!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Yeah he's pretty headstrong and stubborn at times and gets homicidal if I wear the wrong hat but he's pretty happy and loving most times now. He has had harmonal episodes and gets nippy and the crazed attacks when those evil hats trigger him so figure I can put that in the toolbox if he gets aggressive for a longer time.
We do have a dedicated small bird shop fairly close by and like you said online  :)
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 01:37:22 AM »
Thanks for feedback on avicalm. I have it but have not used it. Good to know it could help if needed
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto